10,000 steps

Nah. Just a good way to get 50% off running shoes, 40% off garmins, Waitrose vouchers, etc etc. Oh and an actual discount on your life insurance.

1 Like

We used to have that and they changed it. The app use to do my head in, it never seemed to track properly. Got AXA now, the list of things they don’t cover is longer than the list of things they do

I’m quite used to it from medical insurance days in South Africa. The benefits decrease with the increasing number of years with them too. Like all things. But for now, it’s fine. And a minor motivation to do some steps!

As I run quite a bit I guess I cheat, most days I suspect I am over 20k not that I actually look.

As a result Garmin can increase my goal at times to around 25k. It is a shame the algorithm cant work out my relatively consistent run lengths and give 25k on a longer run day and drop it to 18000 for shorter days.

3 Likes

I’m a bit of a saddo on this, getting a fitbit at the start of 2016 was responsible for getting me up off my somewhat depressed and very fat arse and making me realise I needed to reinvent myself since I could no longer run.

Initially, I did focus on steps and floors climbed but quickly realised that both are very flawed. Floors climbed for example, requires you to accelerate your device up and down as you would when pumping your arms on a climb / stairs or pushing hard on the pedals. If you have your hand on a bannister to pull up, it won’t register; equally, if you pedal up a hill very evenly, the same.
You’ll also register a lot of steps doing the washing up, especially if you need to scour something. Conversely, activities like gardening and (more pertinently) turboing register few, if any, steps and so even if your HR jumps, the amount of exercise credited is less than reality (I add it manually but it’s very much a rough approximation).

Bottom line - without HR, a step counter is useless except as a proxy for total activity.
With HR, calorie counting is pretty accurate for activities where you’re moving, less so for those with few steps (I cross referenced calculated fitbit calories on a bike ride vs power meter and it was pretty accurate).

6 Likes

I have a Fitbit and end up in the Work Week Hustle challenge most weeks so that makes me do more steps to try and win it!

I ‘cheat’ on this by tucking my Fitbit under my shorts on my right thigh so it picks up a step every full pedal revolution.

3 Likes

Step doping :joy:

5 Likes

Coincidentally my watch just bleeped a steps number at me, 7000 something - not seen that before, not sure why it’s started now.

Maybe because I’m not training this week and it usually bleeps while I’m running?

I’ve done 2000 steps this morning by walking up and down stairs a few times and an hours turbo

2 Likes

I’ve never done but I had to do a watch reset once and realised I hadn’t switched it back off. One day during lockdown I’d done 347 steps :laughing:

2 Likes

Why didn’t I think of this? Good idea.
Do you still get an HR reading from the sensor on your thigh?

2 Likes

It does but not accurate.

Also Fitbit logged it as being on elliptical trainer

Also 2792 ‘steps’ logged.

1 Like

My HR is always too low on the turbo because the fan blows onto my wrist - using your method is unlikely to reduce the accuracy!

1 Like