2022 IRONMAN 70.3 Staffordshire

It’s a long swim course too. I’ve only managed to dip just under 30 mins twice. But it’s the same for everyone right. Don’t get hung up
On times, go for podium!!

3 Likes

Think I might have @stenard as a nice carrot :wink:
Did he enter in the end?

I mean, I can’t let a proper Vet beat me, can I :stuck_out_tongue:

About 230/230 watts np @chickenboy ?

Don’t think he did. From memory. You, me and @Chriswim did

Correct, I entered Outlaw Half in the end, as Staffs was too close to Vitoria

1 Like

Ah, right.
Yeah, @Chriswim has been putting in some decent sessions, too.

I can manage that :smiley:

(at 90%, so not sure I would be able to run afterwards, like)

1 Like

Careful the house palaver doesn’t turn it into a case of…'you’re a big fella, but you’re out of shape’ :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It most certainly will…

…I spent five months in this one drinking alcohol and eating convenience foods after doing the DIY immediately after work. WIth zero exercise, apart from dog walking.

We’ve had a chat about Staffs and IMUK and training for those is fine, so we will see how long that permission slip lasts.

2 Likes

Looking at the Bolton course, and that you’re not really there to ‘complete’ I’m guessing you’ll possibly defer that. Depends what happens I guess.

Yup, 100%.
I’ve booked in my three Fridays off work to get in a 2-3km 6am swim, followed by a 100mile ride…

…just got to angle the 3 * 18-22 mile runs in somewhere?

That’s just a summer’s evening surely? only 2-3 hrs.

yeah, usually do them on a Wednesday after work.
But that all depends on where I am working/living at the time and logistics.

Hopefully, I can get a placement back in Manchester, move to Wilmslow, and get the nice 10 mile each way commute in on the bike, swim with ManTri at Moss Side to get my swimming up, then run home the long way for some long run days…

…like with @jorgan this year when all of his work/life logistics just fell into place.

1 Like

Thanks. @chickenboy previous results was really helpful guiding my targets as think I can bike somewhere close to 3.3W judging my current power. Targets similar to yours @Poet but hopefully closer to 25/2:25/1:23. Somewhere around 4:20 will see how things go at the pointy end.

Also noticed previous swim teams seemed bit slow, so guessed might be long.

Training well at the moment, although mentally taking a toll having been consistent for quite a while. 11 hours is around my limit for time so is nice this year sticking to 70.3.

just looked at garmin for staffs bike leg
79kg
252 Av power and 252 NP
FTP setting 313
relaxed aero position ( need to fix this)
Giro aerohead
Cervelo p3
808 front, super 9 disc rear
GP 4000 tubular
time 2:35:21

i’ve also signed up for this year

3 Likes

You will beat LCB with that time!!!
That is motoring…

Its a lot of talk for someone who’s never averaged over 31kph on a bike. I’m assuming what I might be able to do based on other people’s power, but unless I can actually ride that/get a TT bike and decent position then it’s just talk :joy:

Quite right that you should be putting the pressure on him to perform, even now. Look what it did for Stenard in Malaga.

Hoping for similar power, slightly lower weight, but need to learn to ride at that speed and find some equipment to match!

1 Like

Are you watching eBay and the time trialing forum classifieds?

I picked up my Exocet II 10sp Ultegra/DA mix, with some 82/101 tubular wheels for ~£675

A guy at my cycling club just got a nice Campy Exocet II with deep Bora’s for <£700, too.

Just gotta be patient…

…this is near you (I really like the Felt DA)

1 Like