5G

Phone is only showing a 4G connection at the moment; that is 13.4Mb. If 4G+ springs up at some point, I will compare.

Well, well, well, very interesting news on Huawei.

I’m another one who spent most of my carreer in the industry, although on the equipment manufacturing side. My wife also works in the industry for the UKs largest independent provider of wireless towers. Not sure if GrahamO is arguing from a theoretical perspective, however, his statements bear no resemblance to reality.

In terms of why do you need 5G… there are several reasons, from a supply chain perspective, in order to continue to support old equipement, the technology would need to be constantly redesigned as components become obsolete, its actually easier to develop new technology that use the latest components. Secondly new technology uses less power, and possibly makes lower environmental impact. Next the way that we use the internet is changing, initially mobiles were designed to carry voice, then data, then video, and now IoT means that there is a plethora of connected devices, each new Generation is better optimised towards current and expected technology requirements

Its all to do with keeping good relations with China. Ericsson and Nokia are able to provide all of the equipment - from a pricing and technology perspective, the 3 big OEMs, Huawei, Nokia and Ericsson are pretty comparible

I don’t think this is much of a surprise. The UK can’t be seen to kowtow to the US, purely to please Trump’s trade protectionist agenda. Of course, whether the UK is ‘punished’ for this in forthcoming trade deals remains to be seen; but we are ostensibly over-a-barrel with the US & EU post Brexit anyway.

There are also no US manufacturers of 5G, so US is probably pretty ambivalent, other than Trump’s dislike of Huawei

Good news for secret satphone vendors I suppose. Bad news for national and corporate security.

Oh okay, I worked for APT who were the second largest independent cell site owner. At the time of the 2G and 3G rollout and I am guessing your wife was still in school then so may not actually know about the history of mobile rollout in the U.K. is the mid-late 90’s

I must know nothing about the market and how they work then. Maybe ask your wife to ask the engineers instead of the canteen staff ?

Is it? China are notoriously mercantile, what benefit us?

No, my wife had an MBA and worked for one of the Big 6 consultancies in the mid to late 90’s

And you are assuming that the infratructure has not changed or developed since then?

Wow, my wife is a woman, so obviously knows nothing about the technology - you utter jerk

I don’t mind a bit of friendly disagreement, however, blatant racism or sexism is totally inappropriate

6 Likes

Able to, yes, not always willing to. There’s so much history in the sector between the few major players.

Yes @GrahamO you know best. You’re the only one who knows anything about mobile telecommunications because you worked in the industry 25 years ago. I think this makes you a world expert on 5G.

2 Likes

I agree. GrahamO has a tendency to be pretty polarising with his views, and doesn’t pull any punches, but that last post was extreme even for him.

I haven’t deleted Graham’s post, although it has been flagged; the flag was not raised by the person his post was aimed at.

The post will remain here as an example of how not to react in a discussion.

1 Like

Perhaps someone with recent industry knowledge can help me here. I remember reading some years ago now that the hope was that 5G aerials could be included within shop signage etc, to enable coverage in dense cities. How is that technology coming along?

Re China, we have a spooks division that tests their equipment and they say it is ok, which is good enough for me.

The simple reality is that it won’t be that long, a generation probably, two at most before China is setting the standards and doing what the US current does in terms of global leadership etc. It is what it is. The US, if it is being objective, must know this and it probably frightens them, understandably.

Jorgan, don’t worry about post Brexit, Boris has said he will bring the country together. I wish him the very best with that, given it was Tory policies and politicians actions that has caused the disruption in multiple aspects of British life to start with.

GrahamO

I suspect you will think me naive here, but I am factually correct, especially when you look historically (pre money) and globally (lots of poor).

There are many benefits of high quality Internet for nations and Individuals, that are above financial considerations. They tend to get forgotten because of humanities current addiction to money, one of the fastest routes to darkness known to man (ego, greed, intolerance etc).

1. Governments can use it to find out what their people think (eg Facebook) and for intelligence on protests etc. That alone could make a free 5G network sensible. Keeps powers that be in power, keeps people amused.

2. The Internet is one bastion (though wavering)of global connectivity by ordinary people, at a time that our powers that be are saying “me first” and actively deconstructing one key aspect of what has enabled global security for decades. It might just save the day.

Well my hometown is about to get 5G - I will have to check the site details to see if it has a proper, transformed backhaul and the site configuration before I get too excited about it (and get a 5G handset…)

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/02/three-uk-to-go-live-with-ultrafast-5g-mobile-at-65-locations.html

you can use only your 5g phone

Not good news if you forked out for a 5G phone recently…

Device is brand agnostic (in theory). A 5G phone will work on an E/// or Nokia layer. I’d be more concerned about the unwind and even more concerned about how Huawei will handle the future HWACs management.