5Ks in 2021/22/23 - How Low Can You Go?

Ooh, i got a bump up :grin:

Age-grading: 70.78%

Your time of 21:40 for 5 kilometres as a 55 year old male yields an age-grading percentage of 70.78%

8 Likes

Thereā€™s definitely the odd occasion that codes work on the top end shoes. Keep up to speed with the Nike thread. Also register your birthday with them. You get a personalised discount code in the month of your birthday, and that usually works on everything I think

2 Likes

My birthday was ā€¦ yesterday !!

FFS.

Cheers for the info, got a smack down challenge at Oulton Marathon 7/3/21ā€¦ if it happens.

3 of us, weā€™ve even worked out a handicap system, I need every second ā€¦ so might break my stingy traditions.

They look silly.

1 Like

ā€¦any date you tell them it is :smiley:

I seeā€¦!

Wink winkā€¦

Nice one palā€¦!

Although I believe there is a ā€œcooling off periodā€ so you birthday has to be a few months away - not sure what the minimum is @Poet probably knows, although heā€™s black balled.

2 Likes

January 1st

19:10 - age grade 69.59%

January 3rd

19:07

9 Likes

Not sure I can handle a race effort every month, but my focus is now on 10k distance and combined with a general increase in volume and frequency Iā€™m hoping to see progress at 5k along side .

1 Like

I hate you all. Especially whoever had this stupid idea! I wouldnā€™t have done a 5km all out this month let alone this weekend! :joy: I thought I was gon a die on the pavement for 60 secs after it! :face_vomiting:

Weirdly after that min of near death, I was back clipping along at 4.10s relatively easy which was odd.

Anyway I think it was a 17.53 for me. 3rd km had a couple of steep ramps and gates that killed me. That km was as slow as expected, but also took its toll on my, normally strong, final 750m.

Something to work on though. And, like @stenard, Iā€™m a good 4kgs over race weight.

14 Likes

Solid effort!!

1 Like

What a stupid idea this was!

Paced it pretty evenly, no doubt helped by my concerns over my achilles which meant I didnā€™t go out too fast and blow up after 2k.

Timed at 21:32 for an age grade of 71.79%

Shift some pounds and do more shorter distance/intervals and Iā€™d hope to be under 20 although not sure when by.

11 Likes

Woah, back the bloody truck up mate. You pull off a 17.53 and you hate US! :joy:

You need trip to the hall of mirrors. :grin:

7 Likes

Weak effort to start the year, might as well make breaking it easy :grin:

24:38
53.34%

9 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

This

4 Likes

Itā€™s not like he then pootled on for another 7 miles at 7min mile paceā€¦oh wait :thinking:

2 Likes

Confused?!
Was the awful first 60s in your warm up?! Or is that a typo and should be 3.10s? But then high 17 is slow if you were going at 3.10s for a few km?!

Sorry I meant after I did the 5km, I then had a minute of dying on the side of the pavement and then began my run home. During which I found myself ā€˜clipping along at 4.10sā€™ pretty much without realising.

3 Likes

Wow thereā€™s some amazing times in here!

Bit embarrassed to post my own but thought Iā€™d get out and set a bar for myself so I can measure my progress as the months go by: ran 5K in 27:35.

For context my all time PR is just under 25 mins. I set that last April but got injured due to going from zero running ever to a 50k March 2020, to a 160km April 2020 (inc a HM). Every run I did was a PR so fairly obvious why I got injured, have read and learned a lot now about slower running making up a lot of the training week.

16 Likes

Nothing wrong with those times but yes, the old ā€˜run slow to run fastā€™ really does work (of course you need the volume).

Stick with it and the times will come. :+1:

3 Likes