5Ks in 2021/22/23 - How Low Can You Go?

Based on my attempt tomorrow being a bench setting run, was wondering if people fancy continuing the 5k challenge from January 1st, doing one around the first of every month and seeing what improvements we can make?

We could possibly set up a handicap race once or twice a year based on our times if you fancy?

11 Likes

I like the sound of this. :+1:

Great idea

What head start do pensioners ( near) get ā€¦!?

I Might actually win something ā€¦?!?

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea but I have had red wineā€¦

2 Likes

Sorry - Iā€™d had 4 pints by the time I suggested it

2 Likes

We NEED a spreadsheet!

1 Like

Might be a tad empty right now thoughā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s the thought that counts

1 Like

round the dead sea next time i am thereā€¦

How about age grading?

Iā€™ll have a go, although Iā€™m not sure when Iā€™ll be doing any serious running yet :frowning:

1 Like

1 jan 2020 I did 19:24 at parkrun and thought ā€˜here we goā€¦ā€™

Not sure I could crack 20 now, especially without a competitive race for the foreseeable, but signing up anyway.

Would like to have a crack every month or so, so will try and lay a marker down in the next week or soā€¦

3 Likes

Yes, I got my best age grading at a parkrun on Christmas Day 2019 and thought I was starting from a good place, was still running well in March.

Scraped a couple of long 19ā€™s in October, 21 would probably be hard work atm!

2 Likes

Top of a big hill would be my choiceā€¦

4 Likes

Itā€™s definitely the case that 5kā€™s arenā€™t too taxing. So Iā€™d be keen for a regular testā€¦

Posting this message at 3am is probably not hugely conducive to a NYD benchmark however :eyes:

5 Likes

I appear to be in the same sinking ship

2 Likes

Count me in!

Obviously some flexibility would be welcomed (maybe the first week of the month), but it would be good to see progressionā€¦

ā€¦ hopefully!

2 Likes

Jan 1st
18:26 / age grade 78.25%

6 Likes

Iā€™m in but wonā€™t post a time for a while; due to injury and being fat. Interestingly (well to me) to better @funkster 's time i need to break 20 mins. A nice 2021 challenge (along with loosing 5kgs!!!). Happy New Year all, and good luck

6 Likes

Jan 1st

19:09
Age grade=77.62%

2 Likes

Would be interested to see if I can get below 20 mins.

The only 5km time trial I did last year was after a ā€œ7mile warm upā€ and managed 23:08 which based on age grading gives me 20:21.

Would still like to go sub 20

2 Likes