Affairs of the Heart

I would look seriously at your diet. I have been on statins for 20 years, when my wife and daughter switched to a whole food, plant based diet 3 years ago, and since we have no meat or dairy in the house, my blood pressure came right down and I have been off statins for 2 years.

Tim O’donnel may be super fit and super lean, however, I don’t think he is on a really healthy diet, could this have contributed to his hear attack?

3 Likes

Yeah, mine was good for 75% of the time but cheap south London fried chicken, Gregg’s sausage rolls and pork pies weren’t too uncommon in my diet.

I’ll never go plant based but lean meats and loads of veg, pretty much like my week day diet pre attack are now all the time.

Since it happened on the 5th Juky, I’ve been to a restaurant twice, both times were salads without dressings and had one take away pizza 2 weeks ago, though not the ultra greasy dominos types.

There’ll be a challenge this weekend with a lads trip to Blackpool but even then I’ll take it much easier than I would.

The cardiac surgeon said that I could still have a fry up or curry every now and then but 98% of the time it should be healthy.

By my reckoning, having one indulgent meal every 3 weeks pretty much hits that target.

I have to say, knowing what they can do though, I haven’t craved any sausage rolls at least! :rofl:

3 Likes

I had a follow up conversation last week with my cardiologist after my 2nd (failed) ablation for my AF and we have agreed not to do any further intervention and I’ll live with it. he did say that he could do another ablation but he’s not certain that it would make that much difference - he reckons a 50:50 chance of success. I had a 24hr holter ECG a few weeks before the follow up which shows the AF is still there, but my pulse is so much better than pre-ablation, just not a normal sinus rhythm.

I feel “better” since the 2nd ablation in January so I’m happy to stick with the AF - and as the cardiologist says, as long as I keep taking my drugs I’m safe from any AF consequences (strokes mainly).

longer term, we have agreed just to monitor progress and see how I get on - if needed a pacemaker could be fitted, but let’s see how it goes.

7 Likes

Interesting you mention Tim O’Donnell. I was watching the We are Triathletes doc the other day and he was talking diet.

He may have changed it now but he was talking about being on a high fat low carb diet. May be related, I don’t know.

ToD was known to be one of the high fat low carb supporters. Some research does point to a link between LCHF and heart attacks, while people who do LCHF or Keto will tell you that research shows the opposite.

Regarding ToD, I have seen comments on different forums from people saying that ToD’s heart problems stem from his diet before he went LCHF… which to me sounds like a frankly stupid arguement.

I guess the devil is in the detail, not all fats cause heart damage. a diet high in cholesterol, from eggs etc and saturated fat from red meat and chicken (farmed chicken in the US has higher saturated fat than beef) is probably not so healthy. While a diet heavy in processed carbs from Pasta, bread and sugar is also unhealthy

1 Like

Short version

6.5 hours in ED and can now go home. Echo and exercise stress test to be sorted as an outpatient.

Longer version

Mild chest pain during exercise for approx. 4 weeks.

Went to GP who referred me to rapid access chest pain clinic and an ECG but hadn’t happened yet.

Got worse on Sunday and next few days and the pain is there even when not exercising and was getting stronger. Decided E&E needed.

3 ECGs, 2 blood tests and discussions with cardiologist later. Decision had been for overnight and echo tomorrow but that changed to can be sorted as an outpatient. Apparently troponin was raised but stable trend. ECG had borderline anomalies but not worrying.

Asked of I can run, she ummed and ahhed and reluctantly said yes if the pain doesn’t get worse.

13 Likes

Oh crikes, that’s scary.

Hope it all comes back OK buddy! :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

Good luck, and be really careful in the meantime.

1 Like

Oh dear! Good luck with it all. Sounds fairly similar to mine in thatteoponon was raised but nothing to indicate a major incident.

The more research I’ve done on mine, the more likely I think it was a bit of shifted plaque than a blood and yours sounds similar.

I start cardiac rehab next week and they’ve said excercise is ok in the mean time, just be able to speak in sentences so it might be good advice to follow for you too until they can delve a bit deeper.

In any case if you need any advice about what to expect, feel free to get in touch

4 Likes

Take the exercise easy and good luck with the diagnosis and hopefully a swift recovery back to normal.

1 Like

I’ve got insurance hrough work so hoping I can go see a cardiologist privately and get sorted quickly. Will be making calls in the morning.

In the mean time, will be taking it easy for a bit.

2 Likes

Very weird that i’ve just come across this.

I was diagnosed with chronic pericarditis 5 years ago. I was told it may reoccur or may not. It came back 2 years later but this past year I’ve had bad issues with it 3 times, the latest on Sunday.

Just been referred to a cardiologist to see what can be done as it mimics the symptoms of a heart attack.

I did a short Zwift training ride last night (Z2 mainly) and my heart rate was 20bpm higher than usual. Scary how easily you can go from fit to frightened!

2 Likes

Ye Gods! Just reading all of this thread :astonished:

Spoke to the consultant today, said no running until tests complete. 10 days to Manchester marathon :sob::scream:

4 Likes

Hopefully he’s being overcautious, when will tests be completed?

Results are in, cleared to run. 14 days of tapering running lost but shouldn’t be too much lost fitness in there. Can’t wait to head out tomorrow for a gentle 30 mins

15 Likes

Easy though!

Good news though :roll_eyes:

Great news :+1:t2:

Definitely. If it wasn’t for this I’d be complaining about the sniffle I’ve picked up in the last 24 hours. Hoping that clears quickly!

2 Likes

Great to hear! Now it’s race time!