All things camping & campervan

It’s the same as we had last year, not exact van but exact model. I like it a lot, clever design stuff with built in screens and blinds, the bed is actually comfy, tons of space inside.

Pretty easy to drive but stressful when it isn’t yours!

8 Likes

Does “drive it like it’s rented” not apply when it’s a motor home?:rofl:

2 Likes

Not when there is a £1500 excess and and scrape to each side in the same incident counts twice!

2 Likes

I like the idea of taking off for a couple of months, couple of mountain bikes in the garage thing at the back and just going on an adventure

Retirement beckons….

They are not cheap though

Is that one big enough for that kind of journey?

2 Likes

we used to have motorhomes that kind of size - 7m and 3500kg. they are great for extended trips and we did them in various places including 6 weeks through the Balkans to Greece, ferry back to Italy and then home. 13 countries in total.

we’ve since downsized to a campervan as it’s more practical as a 2nd vehicle

3 Likes

Yeah, you’re looking at £45k plus for a good used motorhome, judging by the place down the road.

You need to be affluent or retired to make it worth the dough.

1 Like

I think the one we have is a shade under £80k

1 Like

You won’t find many new motorhomes for less than £60k these days - prices have pushed up a lot in recent years. Most decent brands with quality are between £80-100k now.

2nd hand prices are also holding up well due to demand so even if you buy new, you will have little depreciation over 5 years if it’s well looked after and has extras that people want…

2 Likes

Yeah I’m thinking of last years price. It’s an Adria Matrix 600 SC I think

Yes I think that it’s really a retirement thing for me - a few years away yet :roll_eyes:

The second hand prices do show that they hold their value really well - I do wonder why some of them are so low mileage though given their intended use

If it’s anything like me this morning it’s because they’re shit scared of the excess :rofl:

1 Like

low mileage due to not many trips. most motorhome owners only use their vehicles a few times a year, and perhaps in that is one long trip in summer - 8000 miles a year is not an uncommon useage. there are those who use them a lot more, including full timers, but still compared to car use they have lower annual mileage.

then there those who bought the motorhome on a whim - seemed like a good idea at the time kind of thing - who don’t get on with them so they come back to market quickly and with low mileage. our last m/h was one of these - had seen only 1250 miles use in 18 months.

in some ways motorhomes are like boats - spend more time parked up than in use.

2 Likes

Couple of nights away at our favourite local bolt hole. Bit of walking & kayaking but nothing too strenuous. Back here in a week’s time with the Tri club for a “training” weekend.

14 Likes

Looks lovely

1 Like

I’d love one of these but don’t see how we could fit 5 of us in it.

2 Likes

A big awning with additional bedrooms is the usual way but you then have to ask if you’re far removed from a big tent which is much cheaper.
The convenience of having the kitchen, fridge area all set up, along with the main bed is nice but the downside is the additional hassle if you want to drive anywhere compared to your usual car once you’ve set a tent up.

Yeah, I keep looking at this and normally come to the conclusion that a better, big tent is a more sensible option.

I want a decent poly air tent but that’s $$$ too. My current tent is an 8 man pole jobby I bought for £75 in lockdown…

3 Likes

Just pick your favourite and take that one.

4 Likes

When we had the van last week, on the way into the area where we were pitching up, I turned right too hard and squashed a witches hat. A lady said to stop, which I did, then reversed and she pulled it out and I went on merry way and didn’t think about it.

Returned the van and got a ‘New Defect’ email. Turns out I’d cracked a trim right at the bottom, about 5cm long.

£1500 excess I was crapping myself but they’ve just rang to say it’s repairable and will be £160, which still stings but seems like a win. :smile:

10 Likes