Angina

So, just back from the GP.

Have been getting chest pain occasionally when running or cycling over the last 2 months. Nothing major but enough to worry me.

Another couple of things on top of that made me book an appointment.

GP thinks I may have an angina. She’s referred me to the Rapid Access Chest Clinic for a treadmill test among other things. This should be fairly soon.

Meantime I’ve got to take a daily aspirin and I’ve to carry a GTN spray, just in case.

I really wasn’t expecting this.

5 Likes

:astonished: I can totally understand your surprise. Let’s hope they can get to the cause of this.

2 Likes

yep - these things have a nasty habit of sneaking up on you. much like when I had my minor stroke in 2017 but that was partly my fault as I’d been ignoring some signs of atrial fibrillation which caused it.

at least you realised something wasn’t right.

fingers crossed it’s not an issue and if it is, it’s highly manageable

1 Like

Can imagine that’s a big shock, hopefully it’s nothing serious.

My father had it for as long as I remember, the cold was quite a big trigger but he did have other heart problems.

2 Likes

Today has been a bit of a downer. Aspirin and additional blood pressure tablet made me feel a bit off.

Went to the shops with the wife at lunchtime and felt odd. No major chest pain, more of a niggle accompanied by a pain between the shoulder blades and tingling in the left arm.

Forgot to to take the spray with me but took it as soon as I got home. Felt better within 5 minutes but have had a pounding headache since.

Not sure if it was just anxiety or if it really is angina. Hopefully the stress test will make things clearer.

5 Likes

I’ve not updated this for a while.

I’ve done a couple of outdoor runs and a couple of indoor sessions on the turbo in the last 2 weeks. Trying to keep heart rate down on the run is tough and the issue starts when it goes above 140bpm. Not used the spray again, just backed off.

Much easier to control on the bike so only had one small issue. Again no spray used.

I’ve agreed with the wife that I won’t do any running or cycling outdoors until I’ve been to the Chest Clinic. Treadmill and turbo only and pretty much all zone 1.

Rapid Access Chest Clinic has a 13 week wait, so that’s pretty much the whole summer waiting and worrying.

8 Likes

Not the most rapid access then, is it?

Looks like a summer of base training for you. Great to be able to do something & important to keep it in your routine.

Keep us updated.

4 Likes

I’ll just be happy to be able to do something.

Trying to stay really positive and hope it’s just a blip.

4 Likes

Just a little update.

Back at the surgery yesterday for more blood tests. My cholesterol and triglycerides were way too high at the last reading. Could be cardiac related or simply down to what I’m eating.

They’re going to monitor until I get the appointment at the cardiac clinic.

For now, they’re still treating as angina until the full tests are carried out. Grim.

6 Likes

Have they been able to get you in any earlier?

Or made suggestions to get the cholesterol down?

1 Like

No, still on the waiting list. I see this as a good thing, can’t be that serious!

I’ve to reduce saturated fat from my diet, processed foods etc. Be sensible really.

2 Likes

Another update on this saga.

Still no further on, appointment is 28/8. It’s a telephone appointment, which is a bit of a surprise. I assume an expert has to assess me over the phone, possibly ask things the doctor hasn’t. Who knows.

Not had any real issues since last update, a few chest pains occasionally, but not taken the spray again.

I’m on the turbo 2 -3 times a week and have started going out for run/walks> It’s the run/walk that usually triggers, going uphill.

So it’s a bit of a wait for the appointment but I’ve enjoyed the summer more than i thought i would so far.

5 Likes

Curiously it was the running uphill bit that I should have read as the signal of my AF. For nearly a year I kept complaining that my legs weren’t working as normal when I came to a hill either running or biking - it just became uncomfortably hard work and unenjoyable to an extent I almost gave up both. So maybe request a 12 lead ECG at the appointment - that might help if you haven’t had one done yet.

1 Like

Thanks FB, I’ll make a note of that.

It’s funny, that’s exactly what it feels like, legs don’t work and it’s unbelievably hard going uphill. Even slight inclines.

Managed to get the treadmill test today, consultant called yesterday to say he had a cancellation and could I make it today.

Full test done, never thought I’d find walking on a treadmill so tough! Jesus Christ it was awful! Chest shaved, numerous leads attached and away we go.

Upshot is I’m now getting referred for an angiogram which is likely to be 9 months away as he doesn’t think it’s an emergency job. Also to get a heart ultrasound. Being put on beta blockers and statins asap.

Consultant believes it’s definitely angina with some furring of the arteries causing attacks to come on when I exercise.

Definitely not as bad an outcome as it could have been, but still need to reassess how I exercise and my general lifestyle.

11 Likes

Fingers crossed it’s manageable and been caught early.

Shame you couldn’t have got to that heart monitor trial I’m doing, a full MRI would be useful.

1 Like

Aye, it could have been worse. At least I can start doing some running and cycling without overdoing it.

I’ll need to reign myself in and just not be daft

2 Likes

Not been contributed much on here recently, I’m in one of those can’t be arsed with anything phases!

Still waiting for the hospital results to get back to the GP, so not on the new meds yet. from what I’ve been reading, Beta Blockers and statins are not great for someone that likes to run bike and swim! Not that i’ve done any of that recently. Have a call booked with the doc on Friday to chase this up.

Next hurdle is that I got a bowel screening test through the post the other week. Sent the sample back and came up positive. I’m now booked for a colonoscopy on 6th October. Just what i needed, something else to worry about.

Not in a great place just now!

9 Likes

God, sorry to hear all this, sounds like a tough time, and the not knowing what’s going for a long time must be stressful.

No experience of statins but I was given beta blockers once for a bad bought of anxiety to combat the racing and pounding heart. They made me feel unbelievable tired, awful.

1 Like

Thanks mate.

I’m going to have a very in depth conversation with the doc about the beta blockers, I’ve read a lot of negative stuff around the effect on running or cycling. Appreciate I probably need them, however, I want to be able to still exercise at a reasonable level!

Just want to get over this year, it’s been rubbish for health issues.

1 Like