Any AV experts?

I don’t think so, the stuttering went away when Mrs FP connected her laptop via the HDMI cable and watch YT on our own devices is very smooth.

It would be pretty awkward to this as the tv and TP Lnk are in diagonal opposite corners.

Thanks all, I will look into it. I assume Roku and Firestick come with their own remotes?

Roku has a remote - also works via an app

1 Like

Firestick has its own remote also. It’s not IR either so doesn’t need line of sight to the stick

1 Like

Amazon Fire cube is worth the extra few quid over the stick imo, much more powerfull/quicker and has Alexa speaker built in which you might say you dont need but can be surprisingly useful.

just a reinstall of the laptop then

I’m not sure what that means because it makes no sense but if you’re asking to re-install Netflix, done that, and no, before you ask, I’m not rebuilding the bloody laptop and not interested in a conversation about that.

If you go down Firestick route, get the 4K version even if its not a 4K TV. The processor is faster.

I didn’t see this until just now but amazingly, I did make that last minute decision in Argos!

So a TP link extender in the hallway ( what I thought was an extender was just a junction box my sister had put in) then the Roku 4K unit.

Not happy with having to have a ‘sleeper card’ for the Roku account but everything is working so much better and neater.

Job done :+1:t2:

1 Like

sleeper card? wassat??

never had to do anything with my Roku accounts 'cept login

Being forced to have a credit card associated with account, even if you aren’t buying anything. How did you register for a Roku account without doing that?

been so long since I setup my Roku account I can’t remember what I had to do!

just checked and I appear to have a Paypal account associated with it but not made any purchase - I’ve only used their free channels and not had to pay for anything

1 Like

Yeah the options were card or PayPal. I just don’t like having it there not being used.

This is more of a rant but it’s an AV rant so I put it here.

I think I have enough AV stuff lying around to fit a system in the shed. All I’d need is a processor and disc player of some kind (off eBay probably). Even though I was quite into AV during the Pro-Logic era I haven’t got a clue what all these acronyms mean. I called into Currys but just got ignored for half an hour. There are so many acronyms it could be a comedy sketch.

FFS. :angry:

1 Like

It is one of those areas where if you turn your back for more than a few minutes when you look back everything has changed

1 Like

Standalone processors are often more expensive that integrated amps. If you’ve got speakers and screen, pickup a 4k disc player or 4k streamer and a new amp.

So it’s like the weigh in thread then? :joy:

6 Likes

I’ve got power amps (enough for 7.1), VCR, Laserdisc, a PC and speakers x many. The Rotel processor seems reasonable at ~£500 second hand.

We called into Currys to look at the TVs. Back in 1990 we bought a NICAM 21" Sony from Rumbelows for £550. So it’s absolutely amazing that you can now get a 75" for £750.

1 Like

I’m thinking of getting some of these today if a “mesh” system to improve coverage in the house and extend to the garage and garden.

Any good?

1 Like

Found it brilliant for what we needed it for. I’d the guess the distance between the router and the Roku in the tv is about 10mtrs and the TP Link sits in the hall at about half distance.
At Xmas we had about 5 people in there all on laptops/phones and Netflix running with zero issue.

Couldn’t have done that before. It’s been very ‘set and forget’ :+1: