Any Classical Language Experts here?

I will probably end up asking this elsewhere, but before I ask a Jewish Priest who thinks like me, I want to try to get a different perspective.

Any input on the lack of logic in my thinking also appreciated.

Googling tells me that:

1. The word “Amen” at the end of prayer, comes from Latin, and before that Greek, and before that the Hebrew Bible. Ok.

2. But, the more that I read up such things (including mainstream respected Egyptology books), there seems that prior to the Hebrew Bible, the main useage of the word was in Ancient Egypt with Amun the worshiped God. Ok, but are there any missing links along the way?

3. Books have been written that show that certain passages in the Christian Bible are either direct copies or close copies of work found in the Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead (very much worth reading btw). Not much, but enough to make you think.

4. Given the various theories on how Moses left Egypt, and on his possible position in the Egyptian hierarchy, does beg possible questions, especially re the Ten Commandments (though shall not v I have not etc).

5. So, it’s not that much of a stretch to think that the ‘Amen’ used in churches globally isn’t simply “so be it” but could have originated in the recognition of the ancient Diety.

So any resident experts on ancient languages, or Egyptology, Judaism, here who can offer any insight? With regard to critical thinking, how can I improve my robustness here?

Thanks in advance.

then please do us all a favour and do so.

2 Likes

I thought the Egyptians got it from :alien::alien:. The aliens saw humans and one said to another “Hey, men”. They were there building pyramids.

1 Like

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU ON?

5 Likes

Ok.

Sorry for troubling you all.

Joex, he has been coaching me for the best part of a quarter of a century. I just wanted a different perspective.

Anyhoo, I can take a hint.

Didn’t Xavier from TT1.0 used to be an Egyptologist at Oxford university?

1 Like

Zero helpful knowledge for you sloggers, but I actually think it’s one of your more reasonable ideas.

Plenty else to suggest that lots of things from modern religion have built on previous pagan festivals, which makes sense, why wouldn’t culture adapt and evolve.

ETA: Still very off-topic for my engagement on TT, and nor do I particularly want to discuss it any further (sorry). Just giving some balance to the initial replies.

3 Likes

I have read a couple of books around the history of the bible and therefore the Torah. The language used at the time of writing as well as the style of writing are the big part of how they can date parts of it.

1 Like

I enjoy fiction but couldnt get past first few pages of the bible so Im useless.

2 Likes

i think so…i know his sister…i can ask…

1 Like

My mum did classics…I will ask…

Whilst i have an interest in etymology, whether the word has an hebrew or an egyptian root doesn’t change its potency for the people who value the word…

2 Likes

I’ve been to Egypt on 3 occasions if that helps.

6 Likes

oooh…i think i’ve been there more…and not always on holiday…

3 Likes

How many times did you have a bad stomach? :sweat_smile:. I remember one time going into Cairo on a coach hoping we’d get to our destination before something bad happened.

3 Likes

i don’t think it ever recovered…

4 Likes

Then there’s being chased by a bloke in a camel trying to extort money from me. Or the time I was invited to eat all the bananas I wanted on Banana Island :rofl:

Oh, and the time a mosquito bit me in the centre of my forehead one night. I looked like a Hindu for a week. It’s quite a place.

3 Likes

that makes sense…

:slight_smile:

had to do an emergency landing onto cairo airport with B Coy 2 Para…led to a number of escapades…

3 Likes

Could have been worse; 3 PARA.

I have been on a coach with them after a sniff of the barmaids apron. The conversation was just Sloggers level.

3 Likes

Spent some time with C Company, 3 Para…am struggling to remember the sequence now, but i think i went from Oman to 3 Para in the US with 2nd Ranger Bn…

1 Like

I once got 7% in a Latin exam if that helps (it won’t).

As @Chriswim says, modern religion may be taken from previous beliefs/religions eg Eostre, the pagan goddess of spring and fertility, or some such ilk.

2 Likes