Any Classical Language Experts here?

Even my Granddad went there, around 1939 , not sure that was a holiday either

2 Likes

If any of you military types were staying in a Cairo airport hotel in the initial days of the first gulf war, you might have been eating breakfast next to me.

Chrisswim thank you.

Anyhow, apologies to those who my post caused such instinctive negative responses. I hear what you say.

2 Likes

You beat me then…

3 Likes

I spent 5 years studying Latin, well 3 full years and 2 of GCSE was half Latin half Classical Civilisation. unfortunately we didnt even get the chance to do a GCSE in either which was odd waste of time really. Caecillius est in horto . Cerberus est canus. Matella est mater :wink:

It was wasted on youth as the Classics would fascinate me now.

4 Likes

amo, amas, amat, amamus, amatis, amant

non illegitamus carborundum

6 Likes

ditto…

Unfortunately I’m non admodum clara

2 Likes

That brings back some memories! I sat my GCSE Latin in 1988 and got an A :sunglasses:.

I actually enjoyed it more than French, mainly because you didn’t have the excruciating experience of trying to construct sentences in the language while others watched :roll_eyes:. It was all translation.

3 Likes

Of all the threads where you might write “per cent” out in full…

8 Likes

My father was deployed to Egypt for his National Service. It was during the time the Suez opened

3 Likes

i think you mean the crisis… it opened in 19C…although i am sure one of us was there in a former life…perhaps in the french foreign legion…

3 Likes

I shivered when you said that, either there’s a stiff breeze or i was Ferdinand de Lesseps

3 Likes

more Ferdinand de Les than Ferdinand de Rio that’s for sure…

2 Likes

As did I Hammerer. :cold_face:

Though you never know.

Given ejc’s medical explanation as to why your body can tingle at one painting/artifact, but not the next beside it, he might also have a good answer to this. If you have the skillset it is an interesting area to explore. Some more skilled than I could probably tell ejc his previous lives. But that would be too easy (and possibly bollocks). :smiley: Better to work it out yourself. Perhaps he was a legionnaire, who was fishing in rural China, after escaping from a Siberian Gulag…. 🫨

Back to Amen. The sheer number of theories, including in mainstream Egyptology about Moses/Akenaten (that is one of the possible time period overlaps), etc is bewildering. I guess we will never know, but I remain curious if Amen today, which we know came from the Hebrew Bible, did originate in Egypt. If so, and I am out on a real limb :leg: here, it may be that all the religions today that say Amen (so be it) are actually saying ‘God has spoken’ or similar. Which then begs the question if it is just a coincidence useage, as Chrisswim noted evolving from the past, or evil cackle :woman_mage: is an ancient god still being actively worshiped today, and no one realises it. (I mean it is accepted that Roman and Greek gods are the same with different names, so why not Ancient Egypt and present day Gods? Or did God just suddenly appear in Herbrew times (which happen to have been in ancient Egypt). Mind boggled.

Ejc, seriously for a moment, if you could ask your contacts if the use of Amen does flow from ancient Egypt, or if it is a Hebrew innovation that happens to use the same word, for similar purposes, that would be great.

You’re right. Did it close and re-open? I don’t know, there was some ‘unpleasantness’ . He never talked about much.

1 Like

tuum omnes gay

4 Likes

But you know the meaning and use of words changes over a couple of decades,.if that. Nevermind thousands of years. So no, people aren’t unwittingly worshipping ancient Egyptian gods.

3 Likes

No no. He was probably a philospher Hoplite.

1 Like

Oh dear, that brings back memories from 45 years ago :frowning_face:

I can only remember ‘Romanes eunt domus’ these days

Best latin sketch of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8

4 Likes

Best sketch ever, full stop…

1 Like