Anyone ever picked up an injury from a HRM

hi everyone,

Just a runner these days but i thought I’d ask if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Over the 9 days I’ve developed a really painful band across the front of my chest pretty much exactly where I wear my HRM. It generally eases through the day but it can be really painful when wake in morning and push myself up (side sleeper)

I’ve worn a HRM for years so nothing new. Might have adjusted recently as occasionally need a tighten up so wonder if overdone it but no time when running did I think it was too tight. There’s no visible bruising but sitting up or a push up motion triggers pain and I’d say it’s very uncomfortable. A good 6/10 on the pain scale.

I’ve not had any trauma to the region and my first worry was infection but don’t think that either. Don’t really want to go to the doctors with it and it’s hard to google as it just tells me I’m having a heart attack (I’m not)

Any thoughts or previous experience?

I haven’t worn a band for years but other than rubbing sometimes no pain, but you’re talking about something beneath the surface.

It could be that the HRM is just revealing some other injury. Like if you’ve hurt your intercostals and the hrm is sitting on them.

I’ve got a scar on my chest from a HRM, but nothing like you describe!

1 Like

Cheers guys. I think I’ll try sticking to the WHRM for a bit though I’ve found in recent times it seems to have become less accurate.

I’m not sure if it’s the recent software updates from Garmin or because there is a small crack appeared from somewhere in my 945. I’d be tempted to replace it but don’t think the 955 will be far away so hesitant to buy a new one.

It fits very well with intercostal muscle injury but the only time I’ve hurt that before in the past was when I slipped on ice and landed on my rib on a canal gate. Ive not had any recent event that could cause the injury so I don’t really see how it could become strained without any specific event.

Sounds muscular and that the HRM position is just coincidence.
Obviously have to say that if you have any concerns or have any other associated symptoms then always safer to get yourself checked (although personally I do feel some of society have an alarm at running to the doctors at any fear of chest pain, which they wouldn’t do for a random headache or stomach ache, but I also can’t falsely reassure especially online). Although if it’s only there when using those specific muscles and disappears even with other exertion then reassuring for muscle strain.

1 Like

+1

1 Like

Chest scabs from HRM = you’re training for an Ironman.

1 Like