Are we at elevated risk of arrhythmia?

Again, whilst you can hugely adjust your own risk, T2DM is a much much stronger genetic link than T1DM which most wouldn’t think.
If your parents had T2, you’re going to have to work a lot harder than most others to avoid it . Not everything is fair or self-choice when we talk about individuals getting it.
But yes on a population level it’s clear the trends are related to changes in our lifestyles.

3 Likes

This is a paper from the study I’m participating in, it will mean more to you and fruity than the likes of me but I (think) I get the general message. But my take from the conclusion is that although there’s often abnormalities and exercise seems to change the structure of the heart there’s still not enough evidence to prove a link?

FWIW they haven’t been in touch with me yet so I’m hoping no news is good news and the the biomonitor hasn’t noticed anything worth raising.

Cardiac magnetic resonance assessment of athletic myocardial fibrosis; Benign bystander or malignant marker? - International Journal of Cardiology

It’ll be interesting to see if they ask us to participate longer (was 2 years) given the monitors are supposed to work for about 5 years.

3.2.1 is interesting around training with a viral infection. A good friend of a colleague\friend continued to train hard while she had a viral infection, I think she knew this but thought it wasn’t dangerous. She died whilst on a heart\lung transplant list a few years ago, think she was 50 +/- 5 years.

Interesting. My grandmother had T2 but was massively overweight, and I’m now fairly sure my mother had some kind of blood sugar issues that probably led her to have undiagnosed hypo’s later in her life, again she carried weight but wasn’t too bad, but her diet included a lot of sugars and white bread etc., but she still lasted to 86 with very few problems until she was well into her 80’s

A cousin who is about a year old than me got diagnosed as T1 after being found unconscious in her student accommodation when she was about 20, she was actually training to be a nurse at the time.

My brother developed T2D, I believe as a consequence of an unhealthy lifestyle of long night shifts driving trucks with no exercise and a bad diet.

He was (and still is) very overweight.

He didn’t manage his diabetes properly, which I think lead to his kidney issues.

He didn’t manage his kidney disease properly which has left him on dialysis 3 days per week until he wins the transplant lottery or dies of complications :frowning:

4 Likes