Bike Maintenance for Beginners

It takes me three hours to iron one shirt.
I aren’t allowed to wrap presents.
I can do many types of plait.

I fall over a lot when out running.

1 Like

now that’s where i’m good. Balance, and gross motor skills. Happy to haul myself up a rock, throw myself off a mountain descent etc.

I have to be honest, I can’t for the life of me figure out how this works? Can you explain? The Decathlon listing doesnt make it clear from what I can see…

Pick the correct hole for your cassette. Pop the hole onto casette… Give it a jiggle so it slots in like a magical jigsaw piece. Then hold it in place whilst you use the cassette tool.

Can’t get to it right now… will get pic/video when wife’s finished zwifting

Ah, I think I conceptualise. So the little notches lock against the teeth of the smallest sprocket?

1 Like

Just don’t plan on kids with junior gears (or truly weird hill climbing blocks)

I REALLY need to give the chain on my Zwift bike some TLC :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Is there an LBS in Watopia? Virtual tune-up for a few extra watts has to be their next money spinner.

2 Likes

Lost a day of my life to internal cabling following a “routine” cable change. Luckily had a USB endoscope handy & got there in the end.

I hope you washed it before you brought it home from work.

1 Like

Not a clinical one :grinning:from plumbing toolbox

1 Like

What is the problem. Piece of cotton at one end, vacuum cleaner at the other works every time. Trickiest was hydraulic hose in front fork. Exit hole had a bend, several cotton threads and lot of careful wriggling to get it through

3 Likes

The problem appears to be that I didn’t know that :joy:

1 Like

I was being a little flippant. It’s best to tape the cotton onto the cable, feed the cable down, when it’s close to exit hole the put the vacuum on it, normally the cotton comes out pretty easily. Internal routing on handlebars can be tricky as it gets really tight in there, so always best to get the cotton through all the routings first, tie the ends off, then attach cables or Di2

1 Like

Really useful tip :+1:

Might give it a whirl if I ever recover from the PTSD of 6 hours shaking the frame around every which way, day before a race too.

Internal cabling is one of those things that becomes much easier with practice; thing is, it’s something you rarely have to do!

2 Likes

Building bikes has really helped with things like this.I probably do 3 or 4 internal routings per year. I used to dread them, they can still be a PITA, but rarely take me more than an hour to do

I’ve got this for cables. Brilliant for doing dropper cables to get past linkage.

3 Likes

So it’s actually number of teeth on cog. Nodules just sit in. Crap video…but u get the idea @stenard

3 Likes

I may look into this, my fake Venge is due off the boat shortly (Fat chance.).

Pricey, but if it save hours of faff probably worth it.