Blood Pressure and other health

Guy I work with. Significantly over weight. Inactive. Lives on pizza and kebabs. High BP. Last year was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Doctors told him it was a choice. Either change your lifestyle, or you’re on medication for the rest of your life. His response. “I’m already on medication for blood pressure so what’s another couple of pills a day!”
:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I think was Gordo Byrn suggesting 7 hours a week was good for health, any more was for performance. Really high levels of exercise certainly isn’t healthy but it is easy to conflate extreme fitness with optimum health.

5 Likes

Though you can draw conclusions of extreme exercise and being totally badass! :sunglasses:

:joy:

1 Like

Nothing says BAMF like a skinny endurance athlete :no_mouth:

3 Likes

Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge?

I’ve heard this one and the “oh I was so relieved when the doctor told me it was only type 2 diabetes”.

People are just clueless.

5 Likes

Lost count the number of times people say they have no medical conditions, and then you ask what medication they take and it’s always diabetes and high blood pressure.

4 Likes

Even more fascinating is the relationship with blood glucose. Blood sugars will drop, and sometimes even completely normalise within days of bypass surgery, long before they’ve had chance to lose any weight

3 Likes
1 Like

I’ve been trying to sign up for that but the nearest clinic is Leeds so far and not at a convenient time.

In fairness they are probably terrified of the health of North east England :grimacing:

** last time I had mine checked the total cholesterol was around 3.9 :grin: she said she’d rarely seen anything as low!

3 Likes

On my mum’s side high cholesterol is common but they don’t get CVD at all. My sister has high cholesterol but low (normal low) BP, last time my cholesterol was checked it was on the high side of normal but again my BP is on hte low end of normal. I’m not worried.

2 Likes

I’m a bit worried about this rib pain, so my Dr has agreed to run full bloods. They are ringing me on Friday to arrange a time. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Any chance of neural referral from your back?

ETA: that was my first thought when you foirst mentioned it but felt like a long shot so didn’t type it then.

2 Likes

I’m not really sure TBH mate. I think I said before, the only time I’ve ever felt anything like it was years ago in Oz. I had a surfing accident and some blood got trapped in my my lung and went bad, it got pumped out.
On the r/h, I never know whether it’s just the ribs that haven’t knitted back but that doesn’t explain the left. It may be back related, it did kick up a storm when I had covid but settled again. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I have on that side too, have popped to the gp and done a no test just now. Been meaning to for ages. 174/92 no suprise. Same as when I was knocked down in August.

3 Likes

Hope it settles down soon mate. I have had rib pain a couple of times and it isn’t fun. Mine were all impact related.

1 Like

My mum’s side have proper longevity too, all live well into their 90s, my gran was just over a month off 100 when she died but none of them smoke. My dad’s side however, :scream:. CVD and cancer are/were rife, however their lifestyle choices didn’t help.

2 Likes

Cheers mate. Yeak breaking six of 'em on one side didn’t tickle :joy:

1 Like

Well they changed their tune quickly. First it was, oh just pop in when you can a use the bp machine. Then it’s, actually can you wait fifteen minutes and try again. Then it’s, okay the doctor will see you just wait there…yes we know you don’t have an appointment. Now I’m sitting here with pills and a maximum dose prescription. Yay.

4 Likes

Have they said anything about causation?

Is it a genetic trait?

2 Likes