Camping Thread - Tents/Motorhomes etc

We got one of the Halfords 6 man air tents a couple of years ago and been really impressed with it. Even though there’s only three of us, I figured it was better to have more space than less. Also got an event shelter to supplement it, which is invaluable when it inevitably rains.
If you have a Go Outdoors near you, I was in one yesterday and they were selling off the ex-display models with big discounts (50%+) so could be a way of getting a decent model for less.

1 Like

yeah that’s a good call. Got one up in Exeter, just got to find the motication to haul myself up to an industrial park on my day off! :rofl:

I will just be taking 2x camping stoves (w/remote canisters) I have for now; set them up on the table. An MSR & Coleman one; I’ll just be heating water/pasta/noodles tbh. The biggest cooking I’ll be doing is bacon on it!

FARK I hope it’s dry :pray: As it’s all about how the kids find it.

1 Like

I would agree with this, it’s what i did with my campervan. There’s an absolute minefield of accessories and doodads out there that you didn’t even know existed and you can spend as much on those as the tent if you wanted to.
Whilst you don’t want to be lacking something important you’ll find out what you need through experience or seeing other campers with them. My first few trips were similar to Jorgan’s plan. Pot noodles (some of the posher versions are really nice) for easy meals, eat out a couple of times and you don’t need a great deal.
I’ve since bought a small event shelter (rather than an awning that fixes to the van), a Cadac outdoor BBQ/cooker thing, a suitcase solar panel for when not on electric hookup and a few other bits that I’ve probably forgotten.

we used to have to do that with our motorhome in our last house as a local covenant meant we couldn’t keep it on site. it’s no big deal in reality as you quickly get used to doing it. but since moving it’s on the drive now.

you get posher and posher with each post @fatbuddha ! :rofl:

A drive?!

We have parking maffia wars for any space on our cul de sac!

it’s true that you end up buying stuff that you think might be useful but in reality they either get used once and you wonder why you bothered, or they never get used at all.

we have a Cobb BBQ thingie but our current moho has a built in BBQ so the Cobb gets used more at home now.

I have a big Weber kettle BBQ…but next weekend I’m taking a £5 folding one from Poundland :rofl:

We’ve had a Cobb, Cadac, Cadac Safari, cartridge gas stove, trangias, twin hob plate, induction hobs, George Foreman & today I’m getting Remoska Grand delivered :joy:

Trangia. Only one small step up from Hexamine :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

and your preference is?? :upside_down_face:

Remoska are popular among motorhomers for some reason but you need a EHU to use them. For quick cooking it’s difficult to beat a pressure cooker on the gas hob.

That, or use a campsite with a Pizza oven :rofl:

I got some little fold up legs that hold one of the disposable ones to raise it off the ground or stop it burning whatever you put it on. They fit in their own little bag the size of a thin pencil case and no cleaning up afterwards as it all goes in the bin.

I’ve only tried the disposible BBQs once, and wasn’t impressed tbh. I guess it depends on the brand and their charcoal.

We sold the Cobb, really should sell the Cadacs & solid hob plates as they’ve not been used for a few years.

Trangias were used when I was a Scout Leader, now kept in case of power cuts as is the briefcase stove.

The induction hob along with the George Foreman & gas rings in the Eriba have been great for the last few family holidays.

I just fancied trying out a Remoska as they seem pretty versatile.

I’ve had to use my camping stoves a few times when we’ve had power cuts in the village. I have a camping kettle specifically for the job :ok_hand:

1 Like

We have been looking at new airbeam tents quite a bit lately, and Coleman has gone to the top of the list, mainly for their blackout bedrooms, we went to our local camping shop on a smoking hot day, and while you would nearly melt in the main tent area, the bedrooms stayed quite cool. None of the other brands came close to having the same effect

1 Like

we like the Cobb but it’s a PITA to clean properly.

what we need in the UK and Europe are campsites like they have in Oz with communal BBQs

3 Likes

Yep, remember cooking some fresh octopus on a campsite in Kiama (if memory serves me) back in 2006 when we were on our gap yaaahhh (well half a year!) travelling around and about.

1 Like

and you thought having a driveway made you sound posh :wink:

1 Like