Car Thread - anything to do with automobiles here

Yes. Don’t doubt it for a second. But my 05 plate pre dpf diesel won’t be. It’ll struggle to meet the emissions standard set by the dvsa now they’ve moved the goalposts as it gets older. And I currently do more miles on my bike than I do in my car!

Fair enough. Keep it to wind the government up!

The ULEZ will definitely be the death of older diesels in London. The zone currently covers the central congestion charging zone and a charge of (I think) £11.50 per day applies 24/7 on any vehicles not meeting the required standard that enter the zone. This is on top of the congestion charge that applies there weekdays from 0700 to 1800. The proposal is that the zone will extend to an area bounded by the north circular and south circular.

For diesels, anything registered before 2015 is hit by the charge. I live just outside the congestion charging zone, but well inside the proposed expanded ULEZ zone. There’s a lot of pre-2015 diesels around me and they’ll all become prohibitively expensive to run around here if the zone expands.

That’s exactly why when I had to get a new bigger car recently I leased a new one instead of buying. All of the ULEZ cars for sale near us are heavily discounted but will be too expensive to run into the zone. Buying new wasn’t on the cards and so leasing was the best option. I hope that by the time my lease is up, that ULEZ compliant cars (bug enough for a family of 5 with 3 car seats) are available second hand or I will be leasing again.

1 Like

Yes I may go down this route too.

I’ll sell you ours - we keep wanting to get rid of it, but every year it makes it through the MOT without comment. But even that focus estate I generally take the front wheel off all bar Maryka’s 650 wheeled bike, unless dumping it quickly in the car when being rescued beside the road.

Or you could just pick up one of the zip vans for the few times a year you might race, plenty of space in that.

Does seem like that old Focus has served you well.

I can’t remember what car he had but when Paul Moore left and he was selling off his car he boasted he could sling his bike in the back with the front wheel on.

As Poet has said above we’ll probably join everyone else on the roads and get an SUV. 99% of the time it’ll have the kids seats in the back anyway

1 Like

I picked up a diesel Honda CRV 1.6L 64mpg and cheap as anything too run. I can drop the single split seat and have 3 bikes in with the front wheels off (road or MTB). If I am on my own then I can drop all of seats and put the TT bike in without taking the wheels off.
Big plus for me is that there is no central column in the back so there is ample foot space for all passengers

Chap at the local Specialized shop managed to get his MTB in the back of a compact SUV (didn’t spot make) without dropping the seats and without taking either wheel off, granted the front wheel was hanging out of the hatchback and he had to tie it down to the tow hook, but it was kind of in.

Ideal for any long drive in winter :upside_down_face:

One of the main reasons for my Qashqai purchase. I might have been single and had no kids but my bike got in without any faff. Amazing.

Times have changed. I ride less and have gained a person and his 2 kids. Bikes don’t go in cars that easily with 2 kids taking up the space. So now for purposes of 1. economy and 2. comfort/space I am looking at upgrading to either an A4 or A6 estate.

I feel the A4 is a touch on the small side. But my dad (he with extensive car knowledge) is panicking about the size of an A6. Who has an opinion on this? Not buying new - 1 or 2 year old. Mileage for me is quite high 20k miles/year so most likely a diesel but there is a risk this mileage will change in the next year to significantly lower (fingers crossed for a new job).

Why is your Dad panicking? Does he think the A6 is too big? (it is actually a bit of a beast footprint wise - if not height wise).

I guess the option of a rack has not really been mentioned here, and tbh they are not something I like to entertain, to the point where I will partially disassemble my bike to get it and all the family/luggage in the car without using one. Our Outback has a huge (empty) spare wheel well, that will swallow two bike wheels and other kit, meaning that if I un-mount the rear mech (tape it between the stays), I can get my road bike in the boot, cover it with soft luggage, then heavier stuff on top and load the car up for a trip to Scotland. So if it’s only your bike, look for a car with a big wheel well, and do what I do.

Once you start talking about multiple family bikes & luggage you’re looking at racks or a van.

1 Like

Ive just changed my saloon to a Touring in the shape of a BMW 335D. Best change ive done for a while. so much easier to chuck the bike in and Kit.

Great car…
Always wanted one…

Remap sees 300 plus bhp and better mpg

That’s the best purchase I’ve seen on here.

Well done !

standard BHP is 313. Remap sees just under 400. but headline figures are the Torque…

Oh a newer one…
Xdrive…

Even more well done …!

A diesel saloon that beats my Porsche…
0-60 … 4.5…?

That is fully bonkers and you can get a bike in it

That’s basically what I want for my next car. Want and afford however may not quite match. :pensive:

Why is your Dad panicking? Does he think the A6 is too big? (it is actually a bit of a beast footprint wise - if not height wise).

He’s worried about the length - on street parking where we live. Personally I can’t really be bothered about the neighbours. The only one we have parking wars with is the guy who drives a mini and INSISTS on parking directly outside his front door.

The combination of what you describe is why I’m thinking about the A6. When it’s just my partner and I we can get bikes and kit in the car (saves ferry charges because of additional height) but with the kids + everything that goes with it, it’ll be racks on the roof etc etc.

I guess no one absolutely needs all the space in the family car - you adjust to the space you have. But you also adjust to the budget you have, and why shouldn’t you spoil yourself with a decent car. Especially with 200 mile trips to Cumbria on a weekly basis.

it surprises a lot of other “performance cars”. Yup claimed 4.7 or 8 0-60. 50MPG but the mid range punch is unbelievable.

The 3 series Touring is a bit tight between the wheel arches for me; they are more intrusive compared to most other estate cars. imho it’s too small to be a family car if you regularly need to lug a lot of kit.