Car Thread - anything to do with automobiles here

A charging cable for the phone would be cheaper.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t bet on that being a super solid item; VW build quality simply is t what it used to be.

The local dealer are trying to entice me into a new Mk8 Golf R, I had a 24hr test drive and was extremely unimpressed by the build. Dacia level trim quality and terrible infotainment.

For me the Japanese (Proper Japanese, not Nissan.) are the go to for quality and solidity.

5 Likes

The satnav doesn’t need a phone connection does it? That might just be for real time traffic alerts though.

1 Like

I guess my Kamiq is a little smaller & older than that but has the same engine. Mrs D & I are both happy with it. Don’t use the satnav much, but I’m pretty sure it’s connected through the phone so you may have to keep a cable & potentially a powerbank handy for Mrs F.

2 Likes

I don’t think @fruit_thief is too worried about things falling off a rental his bigger concern is a close encounter with a Land Cruiser or camel.

4 Likes

:100:

3 Likes

Ssshkodur. Their adverts are all over Capital FM.

1 Like

Dont know what that one is like. Ive borrowed an Audi A4 for a couple of weeks to taxi daughter to exams. The sat nav is pretty crap, it has a phone connection and a paid for service, but you cant search on postcode, it cant find a lot of roads, it directs you on some ridiculous routes.

Its quite surprising on a fairly new car how shite it is.

1 Like

In vehicle satnavs are only as good as the maps loaded into them and often you have to pay for annual upgrades. If the car has Apple CarPlay or Android CarPlay then you’re better off connecting the phone to the screen via that and using Google Maps or Waze as they are constantly updated.

Found out on the new camper that the CarPlay system now works over Bluetooth so no need for a USB cable any longer

3 Likes

I assume it’s basically the same satnav as our Passat. We thought you couldn’t search on post code, which was a step back from the older version we had, but you can if you know where to look in the menus. It just isn’t obvious :man_shrugging:

Generally though we plug in a phone and use Apple CarPlay to navigate.:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I’ve never found in car satnavs to be very intuitive or friendly in use and often they just don’t do anything as well as a phone connected via CarPlay.

1 Like

For me, the big benefit of using the phone is that you can plug in your destination before you even get in your car :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

that :arrow_up:

I doubt we’d ever use it, it’s just a safety 'chute :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I liked this film. Never owned any of the cars in question but do tend to agree,

My brother has one and he likes it. Well specced and drives nicely. 1.5l is enough for a car like that.

One other relevant point. Depending on trim, bis has wireless charging pad in the car and does wireless Android Auto. So get in, stick phone down and it all connects up and powers the phone.

2 Likes

HR finally got back to me about the car. The EV6. GT Line S RWD is in stock in either Midnight Black or Pearl White. No contest. Midnight Black it is. 2 week delivery, assuming HR dont take 2 weeks to place the order.

I went to a showroom to sit in one. They are huge. Only sat in a GT Line. The S has a sunroof which reduces the headroom but this one had the seat up pretty high and there was plenty of room. Think im lucky my height is mostly my legs and there is plenty of leg room.

Cant wait. Having a car Ive borrowed for the last week has really highlighted what a pain its been not having one.

16 Likes

Nice !

1 Like

Good choice, saw one today as I was mooching about.

The new one due to be released next year looks quality too.

2 Likes

Yeha I like the look of the 3 and the 4 (as well as the 6).

2 Likes