Chapeau, our kind of legend - Munro's in 32 days

given that fewer people have completed a channel swim compared to those who have summited Everest, you’re probably not far wrong.

Logistics isn’t it. It’s a relatively fixed challenge, that is super simple to set up and do yourself. You just need a bike and a hill and some food & drink, doesn’t matter where in the world you are, so it’s super accessible. If something goes wrong, you just don’t upload and carry on as normal.

No different to racing an arbitrary distance, virtual racing etc etc

But yeah, channel swim is something else! But that being said, if your’e a naturally good swimmer, then other than the cold and the logistics, it would be much more achievable for them (the good swimmer) than maybe hauling their top heavy frame up a hill 100 times. So it’s all swings and roundabouts isn’t it.

Cost and logistics - see above post!

How hard can it be?
David Walliams did it for Comic Relief in 2006.

A friend of mine was part of the first female medley relay to swim the channel earlier this week, she was doing fly - hour long stints! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Talking of which, I always wondered how outrageous it would be if someone did fly in a tri. Not an ironman I might add. Hmmmm, wonder what the distance record is for fly?

80.2km is the world record for swimming fly :astonished:

The natural starting point was Viki Keith, who is
the swimmer who set the standard. She holds the
longest distance recorded for a butterfly swim
– a staggering 80.2km set in August 2005. In July
1989 she was the first person to swim the English
Channel on butterfly and in June 1996 she swam
butterfly in a pool continuously for 129 hours and
45 minutes – that’s nearly five and a half days!

1 Like

That’s probably the maddest thing I’ve ever heard.

1 Like

that is a staggering amount of fly!

which bit?!
Absolutely bonkers

Wow didn’t know that, what an achievement that is.

if you see someone who is proficient at fly they make it look as easy as front crawl. when we lived in Eastbourne there was a guy in his 60s who was a World Masters Champ in fly - he’d go up and down the pool seemingly for ever and effortlessly. amazing to watch.

Which bit

Hard to decide if swimming the Chanel butterfly is madder/ better/ more crazy than swimming it for five days…!?

That really is mind blowing

1 Like

Quadriplegic guy butterflys a 70.3 swim and completes the race, this weekend.

Massive respect.

8 Likes

Nobody has mentioned food! It’s all about the food you can eat whilst training for somthing stupid FFS :crazy_face:

2 Likes

This seems to naturally link to latest bonkers effort…

Solid effort!

3 Likes

this guy has just completed walking 11000km around the British mainland:

https://twitter.com/QuintinLake

taken him 5 years

2 Likes