Cheap Wetsuit

Make sure it comes with kid-gloves included.

So… Swapped my Try Before you Buy Alpkit Terrapin Short & Strong, for a Medium and managed a couple of openwater swims this week. A gentle jaunt up the River Cam through Grantchester Meadows on Wednesday morning, then as many laps of Todd’s Pit at Milton Country Park on Friday as I could fit in. In total, I managed somewhere around 11KM of swimming, so feel I’ve thoroughly tested the wetsuit for fit and comfort.

The Short & Strong fitted really well around my lower body, was slightly tight round the chest (but not overly so), but was waaaaay to short in the arms; no idea how it would fit someone taller than me. The Medium was slightly too long in the legs, too flabby in the forearms and loose round my back. Both were uncomfortable round the neck, with the Short & Strong especially so.

So the Medium has gone back for a refund, and I’m still in them market for an openwater suit. Thoughts have turned to both the Orca Openwater Core and the HUUB Alpha, but as I appear to be between sizes, I really want to try before I buy. I don’t suppose anyone knows of anywhere that either has these suits in stock, or does demo days, or hire for either of these suits…?

One other option, but at three times the price, is to get the separate Orca RS1 Openwater top and bottoms, in different sizes. Not really sure what to do now…

On the topic of cheap wetsuits, I’ve struggled with mine because I probably bought too small. Yes, I tried on in a shop in advance but still got it wrong. Looking at the Zone3 ex demo suits in my size. I think MT would be best at 78kg and 178cm.

In stock are Advanced B grade, Vanquish D grade

Has anyone bought a D grade from them? Are they really bad? Is the Advanced decent?

Hey all, sorry to bump and old one. Getting ready to press the button on a first wetsuit. Sigma have good sales on their end of season stock, and I have £90 voucher so it seems a good time to use. I was caught napping and missed the last Roka Comp II in my size which was a bit of a pain, but I can get the Zone3 Aspire for £140 with my voucher which seems a really good deal?

I could get the Vanquish for £235 but not convinced I need the extra tech at my ability unless someone thinks the extra £90 is a no brainer.

Anyone got strong views on Zone3 wetsuits?

They’re good and their size charts are pretty accurate.

1 Like

That’ll do for me! Thanks!

I have a Vanquish, very happy with it. Having said that, I considered getting an Aspire as a training suit as the Vanquish is very thin on the shoulders and arms, great for flexibility but makes me nervous about how robust it is and doesn’t offer much warmth in colder water!

Mine also has the top down zip which makes it a pain for solo swimming. Not my choice, just what they had in the sale when I bought it.

1 Like

I’ve got an aspire. Got it in 2017.
I’m only MOP swimmer, but it replaced a huub.
So much more comfortable. Used it a fair amount. No issues at all. Don’t think I’ve even had a nick in it.
Easy enough to get on and off. The huub I cut half the leg off just to get out of it.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. That’s it on order. I saw the info about thin bits on the Vanquish and had visions of my ripping it straight out the box.

I’m going to pick it up from the store so they can check sizing. I’m staying in Greenwich so was thinking of booking a slot at the Charlton lido to try it in the water - but as it’s heated I’m not sure if that’s a very good idea (and Id need to check if they allow it). The Royal Victoria Docks aren’t open the days I’m down or I’d go there.

they allow that, the water is about 24c so not too warm and at this time of year you can easily get away with it. The kids all wear wetsuits in winter when we coach there.

1 Like

could try brockwell park or parliament hill lidos also, both unheated

Ah brilliant thanks. That’s really helpful. I suspect I’ll wait until I get back up the road to try it at the open water place in Glasgow, but good to know it’s a possibility. Doesn’t look too difficult to get across to it on the train from my hotel.

1 Like

I Have an aspire and get along well with it.

I got mine in a bargain zone3 clearance sale and went with a ST - I’m a MT all day long but can just about squeeze in.

1 Like

Thanks, good to hear. I went with the MT although I think the ST would have been fine too, I was slightly over the weight range for it but just under the start of the chest sizing for the MT. But hopefully all this swimming will help me be less scrawny in the shoulder and chest department and fill out a bit!

Collecting it from the shop tomorrow after I fly down so hoping a kindly member of staff will help me try it on to check.

EDIT - got it today and it’s spot on. The guy at Sigma couldn’t have been more helpful, really pleased with it and with vouchers got it for £120. Not sure how I’ll get it back on the plane but can’t wait to try it on.