Coffee, a thread related to it

We don’t get Waitrose around here, Morrisons coffee isn’t great :laughing: I would probably have to go to Harrogate or York to find a Waitrose

Just remembered that I did once have some of that civet coffee and it was good but not so good to warrant the hype.

I had something like that way back (a slightly bigger one from the same brand). Used it a few times. Yes, it was nice coffee, but it was just so much effort (both to make the coffee and to clean afterwards). We hardly ever used it after initially buying. When we broke up, and she said she wanted it, I was happy to let her have it.

Roll forward to lockdown, and we got a Nespresso Vertuo machine. I was a little indifferent to the idea, and was happy with instant (definitely not a coffee snob!), but the convenience and speed of production, the variety you can get both in length of coffee and taste, and the relatively cheap cost compared to getting coffee outside, means we are both using it at a minimum once a day. I love it. I’m now really glad the gf pushed the idea.

I quite like the fact they do free recycling of the pods for you too. Otherwise, it would seem quite wasteful.

BTF have a nespresso in Luffbra but i wasnt a fan of it. It was simple for a fairly decent coffee in that kind of environment but too expensive for the quality for me to buy one myself.

I remember back in 2008, a load of us were headed up to IM OZ in Port Macquarie and the guy who had rented the apartment owned a few bike shops and had grabbed the Nespresso machine from one of them. They were pretty new at the time.

Word got around and our rental was VERY popular for 4 days. :laughing:

2 Likes

you can buy pods that can be composted rather than having to send pods to Nespresso for recycling - I’ve tried the Halo ones and am now giving Grind ones a go.

1 Like

Not with Nespresso Vertuo. Those are direct purchase only. No third party options

I have been a Nespresso user for years, always been totally happy with it, even when using the snidey Lidl pods.

However about six weeks ago I came across James Hoffman’s YouTube channel.

I now feel like scum every time I have a pod coffee and am considering buying a Chemex.

fairy nuff - wasn’t aware of that

1 Like

That’s another reason I like the stove top espresso maker, it only takes about 3 minutes to make a coffee and no throw away pods or faff recycling and you can compost the grounds.

2 Likes

I thought that might be the case but it’s actually pretty simple to use. I use it twice a day every day and it takes less time than a stovetop coffee maker, plus you get the steamed milk.

Years ago, we picked up a used Bialetti aluminium coffee maker for 3 euros at a flea market in France while camping.

I love the coffee it makes & also that it is so portable. Take it anywhere with a little camping gas stove. Eg. made a brew of really good stuff at 5 am in the rear footwell of our car, in pitch darkness, in a layby at the side of the road near pen y fan last January.

Got some ground Kona coffee shipped over from Hawaii at stupid expense, something like £18 for a pound. Tasted just like the stuff you get from Sainsbury’s for £3

4 Likes

KJ would be proud of you; improvise…adapt :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There are Melbourne-esque “brunch” places everywhere - that’s how you find a good coffee :slight_smile:
also…as I am British, I don’t like “that foreign muck,” so tend to seek them out when away.

There are a few decent ones in Paris now, so you can have a proper breakfast (sourdough, avocado, poached eggs and streaky bacon) instead of sugary-pastry (which we still have afterwards :wink: )
Although, in Barcelona, “bacon” appears to be some absolutely massive chop type thing still.

Manchester has a fair few of the Melbourne-type brunch places, too.

La Fabrica (TSC) coffee is great - so more than happy to pay £2.80 for a flat white from there.
At home, I have an electric bean grinder, Mokka and cafetiere.
My wife can’t be bothered with those, so uses a Nespresso machine, which is fair enough.

The way the French and Italians roast their coffee creates an exceptionally bitter coffee, which I’m not a fan of.
I prefer a more nutty/honey type roast, whilst retaining some strength and bitterness.
I find the “mouthfeel” of the traditional French/Italian roasts to be very watery - not as rich as some of the lighter ways of roasting coffee - although this all depends if you’re wanting milk with it or not.

With more and more ex-pats settling in Barca and Paris, finding these coffees is becoming increasingly easier.

In Italy, coffee is a very utilitarian thing; they neck an Espresso and go. At least that was my impression when I worked out there for a few weeks. They’re far more likely to be social over food or alcohol…and of course, you get odd looks if you order coffee with milk after mid morning in some places :sweat_smile:

I generally found them to very particular (fussy) about anything food/drink related. The Spanish aren’t much different in my experience of working with them. I’m sure I’ve recounted tales here before, of the Italians at work getting twitchy if I offered to make coffee!

2 Likes

Don’t you pay more if you sit down, rather than stand up and drink it in Italy?

Yeah, same in Paris; “au bar” - at the bar.
Service charge, innit :wink:
You pay more for not being social

1 Like

I am the opposite, I really like that bitterness. I have tried a few local roast places and generally find it a bit bland, even their darker roasts. I love coffee in Italy and Spain, when is Oz (Perth & WA) I found the coffee quite varied but nothing as bad as you can get here. Although there’s enough decent independent places around here that are really good.

:scream: as @Jorgan gets out the Mellow Birds

3 Likes

North Star by the dock? (You are in Leeds, yes?)
Kapow?
200 Degrees?
Laynes?

There are tonnes in Leeds!

1 Like

That’s right, La Bottega Milanese do really nice coffee too. Otley has a couple of good places too for when nearly home. I haven’t tried Kapow, I will give that a go :+1:t4:

1 Like