Combining weight training with running

But i think OP is not looking to maximise 5km time, but rather enjoy the GAINZZZ of weight training (looking buff and stuff) whilst still enjoying running and wanting to still run well. He’s seeing if it is possible to have his cake and eat it. That’s the way i read it.

you need a calorie excess to provide the ‘raw materials’ for building new bigger muscles. The problem is its difficult to eat ‘just enough’ and if my understanding is right not eating enough can result in catabolic muscle wastage if the body can’t get its required nutrients from fat stores, so you’re actually losing muscle.

I suspect its part of the reason all the olympic weight lifter look like big fatties. Insanely strong and capable to get the weights they do over head but the consequence of not eating enough is complete failure at their sport where the consequence of over eating is just some extra body weight that has next to no impact on performance.

Pretty much :rofl:

Tbh its also about all around health… i’m getting old, weights + running is more what i should be doing rather than just running, as was the case for quite a lot of my life. I like to swim too, dont really get much time for cycling.

3 Likes

Do what you want obviously, as long as you’re not getting hurt and enjoying it it doesn’t;t really matter does it?

For best performance though in one quarter of the year I’d do heavy lifting 3/week with short/light running in the opposite quarter, proper running and light lifting twice per week

1 Like

I get you need a lot of calories & nutrients but I was just questioning the seeming ‘need’ to put on fat. @twhat just wants to look hench while people watch him run or swim fast so he certainly doesn’t want to get chubby :laughing:

:rofl: :joy:

Its about all round health !!!
I like beer and biscuits too much to get proper ripped.
Leg day this morning…
6x10 leg press @ 90kg
3x10 20kg goblet squat to lunge
3x16 Kettle bell step ups (2x16kg then 2x2x12kg)
4x15 calf raises
4x15 single leg calf raises
Core circuit

Lets see how the running is after that…

While a few people have said running and weight training are at odds, surely there is a lot more to it than that and there are alot of benefits. I’m no expert in this at all but I know personally myself and a few other people who have sustained running injuries have quite unbalanced strength left-to-right side and physios have partially attributed this to at least one of the causes. Weight/Strength training is required to balance that up. Also building muscle and greater core strength is again going to help prevent injury in other areas support youy body. Thats my view anyway :man_shrugging: I’m now doing 2 x 1hr weight sessions a week. Group classes as the gym bores the shit out of me and it takes the effort out of having to understand all the different names of lifts and somebody always on hand to check my form.

1 Like

Any of those calf raises with a bent knee? Bent knee targets the soleus.

Funny i was thinking about that this morning. I used to do exactly that for achilles rehab. Physio had me sitting on a bench the wrong side of the leg curl machine… you’d put the bottom pad on top of your bent knee and do the calf raise in that position. Some weird looks from other gym users. But no, i havent been.

1 Like

I think you’re talking about activities that don’t really build lean muscle mass. Which is fine and basically the goal you’re describing is what I’m calling “maintenance” lifting. And yes, this doesn’t conflict with endurance sports, it’s complimentary training.

that’s what running is for…

1 Like

why?

Impression i had was a ‘bodybuilder’ would be eating a large calorie surplus in the bulking stage to build as much muscle as possible before then going into a shredding stage to lose the excess body fat that would have also accumulated.
This would be as opposed to what i am doing which is trying to increase lean muscle mass more slowly whilst simultaneously trying to decrease body fat %