Commuting & Winter Riding Thread

I’ll tell you what feels like -8.

-8 :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Made it into work and wasn’t as bad as I thought. Glasses steamed up from the start so had to look over the top of them all the way and tips of fingers were pretty cold by the time I got there but the old lobsters did a decent job again.

6 Likes

First bike commute into Leeds for quite a few years. There are a lot more cycle lanes and good to see more people commuting by bike than I used to. Although not that many.

9 Likes

Yes. Fuck them.

3 Likes

Alright, who’s commuting in the snow today? :raised_hand:

5 Likes

Miserable sleet here :raised_hand:

3 Likes

I went to the bike hub to unlock my bike, saw a few colleagues getting into an über, rode with them

Dry. Warm.

5 Likes

rear wheel puncture cycling in today. First one on months since getting Triban protect 28mm tyres from Decathlon. Slow but solid. Can confirm that changing a tyre roadside at 24C is much more pleasant than doing so at 44C

12 Likes

Probably even more pleasant than changing it in 4C and heavy rain
:roll_eyes::rofl:

9 Likes

The real reason I avoid commuting in the rain :arrow_up:

3 Likes

That came across my mind this morning on my way in. Even though it was pissing down I’d still rather be on my bike than stuck in traffic or deal with public transport.

8 Likes

Risked frostbite to get a snap of Chester on fire this morning.

15 Likes

Those damn gates :rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Sap all your speed :face_with_peeking_eye:
It’s either them or the headwind :joy:

2 Likes

I think there’s a bit of a hoo-ha about those gates wrt to accessibility for some at the moment so they may be going…not hopeful that the replacements will be any better for average speed.

I’ve got to be kinda careful not to rip off my pannier.

2 Likes

@awildt - This :point_up_2:t2: the gates by the marina club at Sale are notorious for this. I once watched my laptop bounce down the canal path and luckily managed to not bounce in :joy::face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

I shake a proverbial fist at whoever thought those gates were a good idea every time I go through them. They are so unnecessarily tight and badly positioned.
Barely any would help prevent an accident and most are on the riverside path where there are very few people walking.

The ones in Newton (on the greenway) have just been improved (made smaller). They are on a dead straight stretch with no exits so were always pointless so surprised they weren’t taken out completely :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Aren’t they there to dissuade scrotes on motorbikes?

4 Likes

The upgraded sections of TPT through Lymm have better gates.

For me, it’s normally putting a foot into the mudguards as I go through :roll_eyes: yes, I’m that clumsy. In my defence I only took up road cycling in my 20’s, AND in a country without rain so mudguards are a new beast to me.

4 Likes

I guess the bigger problem now is scrotes on derestricted e-bikes/scooters etc which cam bypass the barriers easy enough. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Who are these “scrotes” of which you speak?

I don’t know where you live, but the ilk you describe are rare in these parts :joy: