Momentous event cancellation and lack of refund

Trinity has done a full refund for the kids race, but its a school so no real overheads. Our club race that essentially funds the club, kids pay about £120 a year for 3 swims, a closed circuit bike and track run, has rescheduled to 2nd weekend in October. Its a pool swim at CPNSC so not so bad and weather isn’t usually too cold in October. They have offered a refund also minus an admin fee

I got stuff? I got both the original email about options, and then the revision linked to their Brick Session appearance where they said “they got it wrong” initially.

I’ve just fired off an email to OSB, for what it’s worth. I’m pretty annoyed I got no email about this, or if I did, it’s now long lost as my Junk email empties every 10 days. I don’t seem to have trouble getting emails through from other events.

Does anyone know what the Refund consisted of for the Outlaw Half events? I can’t see it on their website, just a reference that it was previously communicated somewhere (OSB website or FB??)

Clearly I’ve had a lot going on of late with the family, and TBH, unlike some I gather, I’m not obsessing over the events that I had entered this year! So I have missed the communications they posted.

Clumber park has been rescheduled…i found out by chance.

Ryan Air has now gone back on mt refund request and only wants to offer a voucher…

Is Clumber this year?

Mr Ryanair has also been saying he won’t fly his planes with the middle seat empty, surely that’s better than nothing. I’m probably only going to be offered a credit note for my US flight that’s valid for a year, but that’s just the booking, e.g. you can fly after that. Even a year might be optimistic for any events though.

24th Oct this year

Lakeland trails July event has gone - included the 100km and 55km ultras.

An auto transfer to next years event or the offer to do one of their races later in the year. Or an send an email “and they’ll see what they can do”.

I’m only doing the 14km event so not bothered but I’m not sure it’s the best alternatives.

Pretty sure options were:

• Defer to Outlaw X in September
  • Defer to following year.
  • Refund of £85 and £100 for Notts and Holkham accordingly.

Ugh, might have to try and do it next Sept then; although it’s now the day after my wife’s birthday. The reason I never considered races around that weekend. Otherwise I’ve lost £115 to keep OSB happy.

Mallorca 140.6 scheduled for 24th October cancelled :worried:. Rescheduled for sept 2021. Full refund available until 4th may. Unfortunately it’s not in half term next year so won’t be able to do it.

That’s pretty much the end of the season in Europe.

So I’ve booked a hotel (flexible) for London marathon weekend next year. I just get a sinking feeling the October date isn’t going to happen. It worries me a bit about what they’re going to do with the ballot entries but surely they’ve got to honour them??

Also don’t see the point in the “elite only” race they’re touting as a possibility for October - IAAF have suspended all qualification until December so basically any times set aren’t valid with the international body :thinking:

I can’t see them closing half of London for about 80 elites to run round. They could find a 5k stretch and get them to do laps?

Really don’t see it happening, part of me thinks defer now if possible in case they don’t roll all the places forward. Depends what agreement they have with each charity.

They should honour the deferral.

Newport Mara has been kicked down the road to Oct 24th. I haven’t considered a training plan, as I’m fully convinced it won’t happen.

You had to make a decision by last week. And I’ve already deferred once (you’re only allowed one now) so didn’t even really consider it.

1 Like

I can’t see how London would be on under any circumstance. Not only is the race what, 30-50k people but it normally attracts close to a million spectators. I have a few people in my old running club stressing about when to start their mara programmes etc and i said something similar.

I’ve got Cardiff half booked, which isn’t until Oct anyway. I’ve stopped training for it as i don’t think there’s any chance of that being on, even that late in the year - 25k odd runners. If by some miracle they do press on, then i’ll defer.

3 Likes

TBH just keep ticking over around 45k PW and if by some lucky chance it might go ahead then pick up a few long runs nearer the time and do the race knowing you aren’t likely to PB or anything. Less pressure then.

Yeah, I’m trying to kick a long 35-40km p/w and just hope for that’s enough base when I need a program to start.

You could probably create a 10.5km loop that takes in the Mall, the Embankment and maybe a bit of the City that wouldn’t cause too much disruption on a sunday.

The problem would be the number of people that would turn up to watch and getting them to socially distance. You just have to see the number of people that turned up on Westminster Bridge the other week to clap a hospital. If you were holding a world class sporting event it would be rammed.

1 Like

especially if they’ve spent months locked up with no sport to watch live

Can understand big commercial sports like football starting back behind closed doors in order to get TV revenue and sponsorship companies back up investing, but surely not enough money or interest in marathon running to make that a priority by October.