Current Android phones

Frickin stupid push notifications on my pixel spoiled the stage for me today!

Had been avoiding the result all day, I look down and there’s some random article on my screen showing me who won. :rage: :rage:

Yeah, you need to stop it sending anything on sports you actually like…

Ironically, seeing this post was enough to tell me who was going to win the sprint yesterday, as there was only one result your phone would consider interesting enough to send you an alert. :slight_smile:

Haha sorry about that! :expressionless:

Anyone else’s Android phone decided to update pretty much every single app today?

Negative. But my Moto G7 Plus did an operating system update last week iirc.

1 Like

Nope.

1 Like

I’m still using my work Samsung A40 dual sim. (they haven’t picked it up yet). I seem to get a s/w update about every 5wks. Some are major and set a load of stuff in apps and some very minor. I tend to avoid as long as I can but sometimes it forces the update.

1 Like

Just me then, all seems to have worked OK but never known it do so many at the same time.

Dropped my Moto G6 and smashed the screen. Argos had the G8 in stock locally for £100 so onto my 3rd Moto now. Not overly exciting but they do everything I want for not much cash.

2 Likes

Each time I look at phones I tell myself I’ll get a moto next. Last time got swayed by honor 10 Lite, this time by realme 6 for same prices.
Lots of good choice for a sub £200 phone. £100 is a steal though!

The only I ‘think’ I remember about the Moto G6 was that it didn’t have NCP capability but maybe that was an older model?

G6 does have NFC (I am typing this on a G6!) but G5 didn’t

1 Like

Budget Android phones are now amazing. Lots of spec including 5G for around £200. Not sure why anyone would spend 1k on the equivalent Samsung.

1 Like

Cheers Rob. I’m not sure why I typed NCP, must’ve been thinking of car parks! :smile:

1 Like

I have to wonder why on earth any average person would get an iphone 12 for £800, when it will be ‘so last season’ in less than a year. Mugs game.

Still got my G7 Plus. Recently on to my fourth screen protector.

1 Like

But the kids are addicted! My two ‘must’ have them, and my son really can’t understand why I like my iPad so much yet I have a cheapo android.

About the only benefit I see in an iPhone is that my diary/calendar would link up. That against cost/easy and common screen breakage, just does not make sense to me. Mind you if money was not an issue I would probably go for an iPhone just to keep it in one ecosystem. But a grand for a phone is almost as bonkers as a hundred quid plus for a pocket calculator.

Re iPhones I don’t know if is the same this year, but the last time I checked, if you wanted two physical sim slots you had to buy the Hong Kong version. The useless knowledge I carry!

We are the exact opposite. I have a work issued iPhone XR, a personal iPhone SE 2020, an iPad mini, a MacBook Pro and Mrs FP has iPhone SE. (and a Dell laptop).

None of the Apple products are linked, we actively unlink them and we opt out of iCloud and do manual back ups of the macBook to an external HD.

When Mrs FP first got her iPhone, I would be looking at something on the iPad when all of a sudden, pictures of staircases or shutters would appear from what she had been viewing. Drove me crazy.

Occasionally I will ‘set reminder’ for an event in my Gmail Calendar and that synchs to the Gmail account on my iPhone but I don’t do it for everything.

1 Like

Still wondering why people spend ££££ on a phone and don’t spend £5 on a case that will prevent £££ of damage every time they drop it or get a bit sweaty. Also why they don’t call the manufacturers out for being in an arms race for designing the thinner lighter phones that you then have to make thicker and heavier by putting a case and screen protector on and carrying a battery bank rather than ones with a decent replaceable battery and capability to withstand typical drops and a flush down the toilet. Plus if you want to take decent photos, buy £500 worth of camera kit rather than a phone that costs £500 extra to produce because they have integrated a £50 quality camera into it.

2 Likes

First thing I do when I get a phone is put a screen protector on it and a soft case! I’m clumsy!

1 Like