Cyclists given more priority in new Highway code

Pedestrians and cyclist are to be given more priority in the new highway code.

I know I’m a cynical old git, but I cant see this making one iota of difference. Who already in possession of driving licence reads the highway code again? I’d bet very low numbers.

Most drivers dont give a shit about cyclists, regardless of what the rules say.

Just seems to be a lot of lip service and nothing actually substantial to make it any safer

6 Likes

Gives the Gammons something to get whipped up about.

4 Likes

The comments on the BBC news story are hilarious…. its going to help slow the spread of Covid enormously, as so many overweight middle aged people with anger issues are getting enraged to the point of keeling over and removing themselves from the population list.

9 Likes

Aye just reading - cue all the dickheads ranting about cyclists being evil Lycra light hopping ad infinitum

3 Likes

They don’t pay road tax I hear.

11 Likes

I can’t help but stir the hornets nest a bit…. next topic is to mention bike cameras and getting drivers banned…. that should keep it fresh.

3 Likes

Neither do Uber drivers in Prius’s, but no one gets excited about that :roll_eyes: :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That old chestnut :chestnut:

1 Like

Comin’ over here wiv their fancy plastic bicycles wearing fancy raffles outfits…

I think it’s the ‘hierarchy of responsibility’ which has been adopted in Holland for years, is the real improvement in this update.

2 Likes

Its a great idea and makes total sense. I’m just bit sure how much notice will be paid.

Is it going to be backed by law? So in the Higheay code it’s a must do in bold, or just guidance

Reading some of the HYS comments here - we really are a nation of fucking turnips

1 Like

It needs a proper national media campaign to highlight why and these new rules. Unfortunately, can’t see that happening anytime soon.

1 Like

Too much lobbying money hitting politicians for that to happen.

Only got to look at the All Party Parliamentary Cycling Group, who have a significant number of members from across the entire political spectrum, including senior MPs, yet seem utterly toothless, and do little more than post up links on Twitter to really shocking stories of cyclists being treated as second class citizens (a favourite of their’s being painfully weak sentences for drivers who have killed or injured cyclists)

2 Likes

E scooters - they’re our enemy now :joy:

1 Like

E-scooters - they’re our enemy now

11 Likes