Disc or Rim

You’ll definitely not get disc brakes on that R5 frame.

1 Like

For a Ti Gravel bike :see_no_evil:

1 Like

It is a Cervelo R5Ca. It’s a 2013 Frame, hand built by Cervelo in California (hence Ca), and THM fork, it was the lightest frame available when conceived, Frame and fork weigh around 950g. It’s simply a delight to ride.

3 Likes

Cheers.
You have the better version of mine :money_mouth_face::money_with_wings::moneybag:

My frame and fork are 1,054g.
But the bloody BB, headset and expander weigh nearly 400g :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Should finish it today/tomorrow and get out for five hours on Sunday.

1 Like

I’ve got my eye on another enigma, the successor to the Ecroix, can do a bit of everything if I want, and takes tyres up to 40 I think!

Cycle scheme saves me about £1k!

2 Likes

Moots, if you want to make a statement at the cyclists trendy cafe right?

If you get the right one!
The ownership after one year is garbage.
Gotta do the 3 year (?) deferred option.

@Jorgan - surely a Mosaic GT2-45 would be a better statement :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

The standard R5 is a faster more modern bike than the older R5Ca, it uses more aero tubing, and is nicer to ride on rough tarmac. However, there is something special about riding a super light bike. Mine is 5.5kg with normal wheels and drivetrain.

3 Likes

Yeah, mine is the 2012 R5VWD, same square tubing as the RCa, with external cable routing.
Means I should get it built in under an hour.
Just waiting for Hermes to deliver the saddle (that’s the delivery company, not a luxury handmade leather saddle from the French boutique :joy:)
and bars today

5 Likes

So this is you ‘working’ and then you’re riding in your ‘wellness’ hour?!

:rofl:

(says he wasting time on a triathlon forum)

4 Likes

What you saying? :rofl:

1 Like

You can’t fit that bottle cage on there!!

Looking good so far though :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Nor can I spend any more money.
The cage is 20g. But I can’t get the graphic off (I tried with wet and dry on an inconspicuous part!)

Gah. Annoying - I do like Planet X cages. Only around 20 grams aren’t they?!

This is what you want :see_no_evil::rofl:

90! Quid :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

That is lovely looking though!

1 Like

It’s technically 4 years now, 12 payments and the final payment is 3 years after the last one, is how I’m reading it.

If you go for the 12 month option it’s not really worth it as the RV is about 40% I think?

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s it, four years with the 12 initial payments.
The 12 month and then own saves about 5%, so you’re better off buying at a reduced cost off RRP, unless of course you’ve not got the cash?

Anyways, rim vs disc.

It’s got disc, I’m really wavering as hydraulic brakes are a pain but rim brake bikes are hard to come by these days. I think I’d prefer rim brakes but would probably get discs.

1 Like

Yeah, I did a Google and some chatter from the bike shows is that it’s now dead.

Some manufacturers offer zero rim brake models.

I like how Spooner summarised it above.
I’d get disc for gravel, but for everything else I’m okay.
My commuter was/is/will be fixed, so I’ve never had an issue stopping :leg:🏼:leg:🏼

In all of my years riding I’ve once been caught short - last summer descending the Cat and Fiddle on carbon rims in an unpredicted deluge.
Got home and immediately ordered SwissStop pads :rofl:
Issue solved :money_mouth_face::+1:t3:

2 Likes

Yes in this country (no long alpine descents) if it’s dry rim brakes with good rim/pad combo is definitely enough. But add rain and shitty roads combined with hairpins… and discs are a boon. Shame they squeal like a stuck pig if you don’t constantly tend to them though.

2 Likes