Discussing the news

We have threads on specific subjects, thought perhaps we could have a general thread to discuss other news items.

One that I read this morning was related to Irish sprinter Leon Reid being found guilty of letting his flat being used to produce cocaine. From what I read of the article he sub-let the flat (to another athlete) and I couldn’t see it said he knew anything of the activities taking place as he was off at a training camp.

Does that mean a landlord can be found guilty for things a tenant does in their property? Or did I just miss the part and he did know what was going on?

2 Likes

Sounds like Section 8 of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971

2 Likes

Looks like you have to know about illegal activities and do nothing about it. There must be loads of Landlords who unknowingly have illegal activities going on in their properties!

1 Like

Even thought we’re pretty much at a point where a school shooting in America isn’t even news worthy, here it is.
Watch the “Golden State Warriors” coach press conference half way down the page.
:v:

1 Like

19 school children die.
Tucker Carlson: Biden is old and senile; he should shut up.

Don’t a load of Americans believe that Sandy Hook was staged by actors?

4 Likes

I believe so

Oh, and that God will save them from Democrats; because the Right truly have their best interests at heart :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I watched a bit of the news earlier and they had a parent of a girl who was killed in a different attack. The interviewer asked him what should be done, I think really aiming to get onto gun control, but the guy would only say give them powers to remove guns from extremists.

I can’t see how that would work, a) in 90% of the cases these people probably haven’t even appeared on a register yet and b) there are so many guns I’m sure if theirs was taken away they’d just pop to their parents/grand parents/neighbours to grab one.

2 Likes

They probably think Minority Report was a documentary.

3 Likes

Brief aside on the Minority Report. With all that impressive high tech, predicting future crimes, virtual touchscreen computing and to find out who will commit this future crime you hve to wait for a small ball to be engraved then roll around the room and then you can read it. Jusr put it on the screen FFS!

6 Likes

The American people accept these atrocities, and a continuous stream of shootings in every city as a fair price to adhere to the ‘right to bear arms’. It’s a mind fuck to the rest of us, but to the majority of them it’s a fair deal.

In every election they could vote for someone who would change this; but if anyone dared put that in their manifesto they’d lose.

6 Likes

That was because the wood grain was impossible to fake or copy. It was supposed to be an elegant copy protection/security feature. And it looked cool. :grin:

1 Like

Most logical people: we need to limit access to firearms via changes in the law.
Confederate Americans: we need to arm teachers and have more security guards.

One American politician: what must the rest of the world think of us?

7 Likes

Have none of them suggested arming the kids yet?

1 Like

I see the police are being criticised for taking 30 minutes from being on site to launching their attack.

They were probably in a no win situation - rush in and start shooting and risk kids getting killed in the crossfire or launch a more structured assault and kids get shot by the gunman.

I seem to recall that the security guard at a previous school shooting got personal criticism from Trump for not playing the hero and going in by himself

1 Like

What seems ridiculous is that they have a guy at the top who could pretty much end humanity with the press of a few buttons, but is powerless to do anything about it!

1 Like

I doubt at this stage in his life Biden could end a cream cheese bagel. But I get your point :laughing:

They need a referendum, a massive gun buy back scheme, and a whole new gun licensing scheme. New firearm sales should be taxed at 500% with proceeds ring fenced for schools. Lobbying donations from the NRA should be made illegal.

3 Likes

No, getting in contact as soon as possible is what police forces are trained for, but there’s no national standards in the US obviously, but they’re pretty sure that intercepting the gunmen ASAP is the right approach ALERRT.

1 Like

I read somewhere that the security guard had engaged and wounded the shooter, after which he barricaded himself in this classroom and started shooting everyone in there.
It’s possible his intended targets were students his own age (I’m assuming they’re at the same location) as I understand he’d been bullied to some degree but after being wounded holed up in the first place he could and took it out on whoever was there.
There isn’t even a tiny part of my brain that can comprehend pointing a gun at 10 year old kids, who’ve done absolutely nothing to you, and shooting them.

3 Likes

I guess there isn’t the option to keep guns sales as they are to keep people happy as it doesn’t affect their constitutional rights but restrict the ammunition sales or make them prohibitively expenseive?

1 Like