Discussing the news

Unfortunately I think its a view thats shared by a lot of people in America. They love their military but dont like the fact they have to pay more to protect the west.

Trump is an utter idiot though snd it really shows his complete lack of political nous.

2 Likes

Again hoping that I don’t regret this post.

1. America has been losing its geopolitical position for some time, also its economic position and to a lesser extent, but noticeable in relative terms, its military position.

2. In both ww1 and ww2 America did indeed get dragged in. But it was, in both cases, the history books tell me, the very fact that a fresh new, well equipped, large force, entered that the tide was turned, and we won.

3. This is a different situation. The U.S. is in the middle of it, so the dynamics are different. I remain unsure of how this would affect things. But to assume that the U.S. could save the day again isn’t a given.

But if it helps get him the Presidency again?

I believe that they perceive that they protect the west but do they actually do that?

1 Like

They protect the status quo to a greater extent. You could argue that the Red Sea shipping route mainly helps Europe & China.

I believe that if the US left Europe to hang in the breeze, they would soon regret it; because their place in the world is dependent on the status quo. Europe would ultimately step-up when the crunch came, and the US would lose much of it’s soft power.

4 Likes

In a roundabout way…but probably cause as much as they could ever resolve, if not more…

but I am guessing that without significant change, the west would be in trouble without those routes…

2 Likes

Well Europe would; the US is supplied via the Pacific. But China is now part of the status quo, as is the Middle East (oil & trade routes).

2 Likes

Talking of shipping routes.

3 Likes

yep, but doesn’t the flow of money and energy need Europe in the mix to worK

1 Like

Yes, because the EU is the world’s largest market, even without the UK.

1 Like
11 Likes

Unbelievably sad.

2 Likes

That is just dreadful news :cry:

2 Likes

That is very sad.

My phone is getting it’s algorithms all wrong as well. Getting loads of random articles and related ads about Kiptum dropped into my feeds. Obviously not smart enough to work out why there’s a volume of traffic against that name.

:pensive:

2 Likes

Horrendous stationary traffic on the M5 south of WSM. All because some numptee in a Fiesta drove into the back of an X3. Distracted no doubt.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Possibly he would have been the first sub 2?

1 Like

it seemed likely…

Navalny gone now, hardly a shock but just in time for their election :thinking:

4 Likes