Discussing the news

Strawman

Vigilance against fascism is appropriate and measured

Dismissal of such vigilance is naive and dangerous

2 Likes

Not sure of the ins and outs of Barclays and their links to what is going on in Isreal and Palestine but don’t see the problem with those people acting on what they believe in. If we only approve when we agree then that seems short sighted to me.

3 Likes

I don’t believe it’s complex: Barclays are a bank > Banks provide financial services to legitimate arms companies > legitimate arms companies provide arms to Israel, legally

Barclays are like, we don’t have a problem with your protests but it’s for the government to decide embargoes, not individual banks

2 Likes

Knee jerk

There’s someone on the right…“fascist”…

doesn’t help the problem at all, isn’t appropriate and isn’t measured,

Like all things in life, calling people out for the things they are not is counterproductive…

2 Likes

absolutely…

but it usually doesn’t resist much scrutiny…and they do live under the protection by the very same banks and arms manufacturers…

Arise Sir Cav….

6 Likes

Knighthood for Alan Bates as well. Not saying its not deserved as he has done an amazing thing but isnt unusual to go straight to a knighthood?

I thought people usually got and MBE/OBE first.

3 Likes

He refused anything until something was done about the post office criminals. So I think it’s right he goes straight to knighthood after all these years.

5 Likes

Maybe not ‘news’, but my dad was on the list too. MBE incoming.

Not really into the Royal stuff, but I’m very proud of him and his hard work.

:smiling_face:

26 Likes

That’s mega, congrats GB senior.

3 Likes

Yeah, excellent for Mr GB.

Jasmin also got an MBE :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Amazing. Congrats to him :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

2 Likes

Congrats to GB Senior…

Mrs eJC’s supervisor is awarded an MBE…

3 Likes

One of the business partners of my Grandfather was awarded an OBE… he would say it stood for “Other Buggers Efforts”; while the recipient was off doing what was undoubtedly valuable charity work, Grandad and others would have to keep the business going.

3 Likes

As much as I’m not a fan of Gordon Ramsey he’s had a bit of a bashing in a cycling accident this week, his entire lower right side is a nasty bruise. Couldn’t see if he fell or got hit though?

4 Likes

I saw the BBC article earlier. That bruising is crazy. I can’t imagine what injury he suffered to be beaten up like that but seemingly no broken skin or bones

1 Like

I am amazed that this has taken so long. Numerous (but obviously not all) pet owners can attest to it.

I went to a conference about it, I don’t know perhaps a quarter of a century ago, in London packed, break out rooms full etc.

The funny bit is that there was this bloke with (quarter century ago remember) a massive camera lens sticking out of a bag, sitting half way down the auditorium. Being at the back I could see him clearly turning his lens on everyone in the audience. I reckon it was ejc. :open_mouth:

Once this dam bursts there are obvious implications for animal welfare, from fishing to farming, hence I guess, part of the reason for the resistance.

For me, it’s just one of those obvious things that I have always wondered why I was mocked for. Now it seems science is coming to the rescue. Centuries late, but nonetheless.

(I eat meat btw so this isn’t from a holier than thou place, to me it’s just common sense).

I saw his Instagram post and the picture of his helmet, proper nasty. That bruise is horrendous. He hasnt said how it happened.

3 Likes

It’s a shame he’s taken the opportunity to spread fear and demand helmets for any journey.

I don’t know how thick you have to be to suffer all that torso damage and come out talking about helmets, but I guess Ramsay-thick.

2 Likes

Perhaps he was wearing a helmet and credits that for avoiding a head injury?

5 Likes