Ditlev DQ, Harsh?

Formula 1 only has a time penalty I think, can’t think of any others.

There is a mitigation for someone cutting a course in that they can go back and re-enter the race at the point they left the course so that they are effectively serving a time penalty by doing so. Failure to do this then leads to a DQ. This is a BTF/WT rule by the way.

However what rules were they running the event under?? Most Challenge events run under the local National federation rules but I don’t know if they were running under Montenegro Tri rules so this would also need to be looked at to see what ruling they have in place for such a scenario.

EDIT: just seen this on the Challenge website - they were running under WT rules.

"All involved regret this decision but the application of the objective rules as set out by our World Triathlon governing body is an important factor in our sport.

In an act of solidarity, pro’s finishing behind Magnus decided to share their earnings of todays’ price money as a token of appreciation of the form Magnus showed today."

7 Likes

Grid drop at next race

That’s nice to hear.

Do you know what authority the people around race leaders have? I’m wondering if this kind of situation could have been corrected in race by having someone tell him to go back immediately that the infringement occurred?

Of course it could be that no one notices until after the race but it might catch some minor errors before they destroy the race.

some are just there to warn others/inform spectators that the leader is coming through; others can be there to direct leaders correctly.

2 Likes

Ditlev’s take, sounds like a bit of a mess

3 Likes

If he made up the distance on course that leaves it open to revise the DQ decision like GTB at Superleague. Sounds very messy.

1 Like

Superleague is a law unto itself and it’s probably fair to say they fudged their own rules to get the result they wanted.

I don’t think it does. - it’s a leaving the course then re entering the course thing. He left the course and entered it at a different point. As he never went back at the point he left…etc.

1 Like

Are there points or something for position in some overall competition, as the redo / 5min initial penatlies certainly sound like attempts to still have him win despite the penalty, but then someone (presumably competitors) pointed out the rules only supported DQ and nothing else. But then the assertion that they split the prize money makes that seem less likely.

unlikely to be competitors, more likely a conversation between LOC and TD/Referee…

Senna (the film) spends some time on this…

Nice attitude by Ditlev and the pros who supported him

3 Likes

seems that Challenge have reversed the DQ to a time penalty and reinstated Ditlev as winner. From their FB page:

"Following Magnus Ditlev’s disqualification at CHALLENGEBUDVA-MONTENEGRO for unintentional course cutting and a subsequent protest from Ditlev, CHALLENGEFAMILY and CHALLENGEBUDVA-MONTENEGRO have further investigated the incident.

The decision to disqualify Ditlev was based on information available at the time as per the World Triathlon rules where course-cutting results in disqualification. However, based on subsequent investigation, his disqualification has been returned to a five-minute time penalty as provided initially. The action was reduced in acknowledgement of the part the race organisation played in misdirecting Ditlev, for which CHALLENGEFAMILY and CHALLENGEBUDVA-MONTENEGRO has apologised, with a commitment to put more robust procedures in place to ensure this is not repeated.

Ditlev retains his place as the inaugural CHALLENGEBUDVA-MONTENEGRO champion with a time of 3:46:29 with Patrick Lange in second (3:48:21) and Ruedi Wild in third (3:50:43)."

6 Likes

Hmm.

Sounds like a one off call for Ditlev, cant see this happening for anyone else. So the right result for that race at the cost of consistent application of the rules.

2 Likes

sounds like it…

Right outcome if you ask me.

6 Likes

Me too. Wow, common sense prevailed!! :open_mouth:

2 Likes