Do you still have what it takes...mentally?

Luckily I knew I was never going to win anything outright, had a few reasonable performances in smaller races and age groupings but having left it late to start I probably missed out at training at my peak. So I like to see if I can better myself, and also know the local lads I can compete with which helps you know what kind of form you are in.

A lot of it was also about the healthspan, my father had lots of problems throughout his life which I think had a bit of an effect on me to try and keep active in the hope I could be like my mother, who was generally healthy until her last couple of years really.

4 Likes

I race 3x a week these days btw. Zwift counts right.

3 Likes

The other issue is life related stress, I donā€™t have kids but itā€™s remarkable how much a bit off off the field (work) stress can slow you down.

Doesnā€™t help when Microsoft leave the doors wide open to their software!

Had less of that in years gone by, partly as I was on a lower grade but I donā€™t think there was quite as much of a concerted effort of national level hacking, and the added bureaucracy of work and life in general.

2 Likes

And the fact that weā€™re no longer working from home but weā€™re living at work.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been reasonably lucky on that front, they wanted someone on site so I volunteered and have been in the office every day except 1 this year.

Iā€™m convinced itā€™s help me get through this lockdown as I havenā€™t been in the same building for nearly 20 hours per day, have seen a few other people IRL and helped me get a bit of routine.

2 Likes