Fantasy Vuelta

Yes. He lost 11 minutes.
The another 19 minutes yesterday.

He’s over.

Looks like all of the “Special Doctors” don’t get to go to the Vuelta.
Not being able to travel to “training” camps has also affected some riders more than others.
Looks like “preparation” has been key to some riders, but others have lost out :wink:

2 Likes

He’s past it, and as such, has been taken off the Program.

1 Like

No, no, no, his wife just stopped watching his diet and he went back on the carbs…

2 Likes

His baddy on his leg is still sore. Don’t be mean

1 Like

I think the above criticism of Froome is pretty harsh. He had a crash where there were questions as to whether he would ever be able to ride again. It’s pretty understandable that it would take a long time to get back, if he ever can. And then you factor in the current complications of this season. Give him a break?!

Speculation about all riders is fair game in terms of doping, but I also don’t really understand the apparent hostility being shown specifically towards Froome?

4 Likes

Agreed. A 7 time grand tour winner deserves more respect.

And anyone thinking the snide jokey doping accusations are funny, they’re not. They’re just tedious.

1 Like

To be fair, Froome was being billed as team leader at Ineos and one fo the favourites for the GC, so someone obviously thought he would have better form.

I know the BBC website isn’t necessarily the best place to look for cycling news, but on the cycling page there’s an article talking about how he can rescue Ineos’s season with a win, right next to a story about him losing 11 minutes on stage 1.

1 Like

Many people were rabidly defending a 7-time TdF winner 10 years ago :man_shrugging: It’s not like Team Sky (as was) hasn’t had huge doubt cast upon it; along with the Modfather of cycling. What about the 40yo Spaniard; do you think he’s just on the Berocca? Is that more fair?

Tedious? Maybe a little; but the cynical humour on display goes with the territory.

2 Likes

Still, no-one has accused people of being a cock yet today, so that’s good.

1 Like

“Defence based on statistical model showing likelihood of false positives”

And post-Covid, we all know how well medical statistical models perform.

Tedious Tin Hat Click Bait Time:
Was his crash an elaborate attempt to evade a doping control?
(See Betteridge’s Law of Headlines for the answer to that one)

Also, I never specifically referenced Froome.
I factually stated he lost 11 minutes and 19 minutes on consecutive stages.
I then started a new paragraph, simply stating “He’s Over”

I then started another new paragraph - paragraphs are used to introduce new sections of a story.
The “new story” I introduced was one of “Special Doctors” not getting to go to the Vuelta - in general.
This was discussed in the Giro thread - with the many positive Covid results, whilst the TdF positives were few and far between.
Maybe due to the lack of British interest (at that point) and Ineos performing below par, it wasn’t picked up on.

“Not being able to travel to “training” camps has also affected some riders more than others.”
It certainly has - look at the huge differences in riders this year.
Some have coped extremely well in challenging conditions, whilst others have totally withered.

“Looks like “preparation” has been key to some riders, but others have lost out”
Again, some riders are totally different beasts this year.
Is that lockdown training?
Or, is that an abject lack of doping controls during lockdown?

The complications of this season have benefitted a lot of riders.
True champions would have taken the challenge of that and turned it into a positive.

Improvise.
Adapt.
Overcome.

1 Like

Aaaaanyway.

How nice was it to see Dan Martin take the win today?! Chaves had some rotten luck. Lots of that going around these first few days.

Bloody adverts on itv player drive me nuts. 5 mins each break. Now that is tedious.

Oh well, that saves me watching Vuelta highlights!

Giro was way better anyhoos :+1:

1 Like

I’m up in 3rd. Doubt it will last

I’ve just booked myself a flight for my own fantasy vuelta - Andalusia and Granada. I know the way. Just warm weather and smooth roads and no stupid fucking jocks on the A81 or A82 making my life a misery. Fucking Twats

2 Likes

Ah sorry bud. We don’t have two threads yet for the Vuelta.

I managed to watch both highlights shows after my run last night. :ok_hand:t3:

But you still need to know how Froome got on!

1 Like

The ITV4 Vuelta highlights show @7pm this evening has been bumped by the Scotland v Georgia 6 Nations warm up.

For once I’m not too upset.

Is he waiting to pull another ‘Landis’ :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have to say, both the Giro & Vuelta are looking stunning in the mountains with the autumnal colours and snow.

A lot of the riders must really be struggling with the cold, given how lean they are. Froome would be a good example? Keldermann yesterday in the Giro too.

3 Likes

I thought the interesting thing with that was how it impacted the racing in so many nuanced ways. Additional intangible skills like bike handling whilst changing clothing became really rather important. Given how Hindley nearly stacked it, and then even once he got the jacket on couldnt actually get it done up, he’d have been much better off trying the old school newspaper approach!

1 Like