Garden designs

Thinking about redoing the garden. It’s al awkward shape and on different levels.

I’ve found someone who does the digging/patio/fences but not convinced he’s got the desig skills so tempted to get someone separate to do that.

Also with a mahoosive oak tree I just don’t think a lawn will ever do well but Mrs dorsnt want fake grass. Yes fence is a mess and needs replacing, patio is a mess and needs sorting.

One on right is current layout. Left is my initial thoughts.

Looking for advice

1 Like

Get rid of the lawn close to the oak tree and use soft/hard landscaping with gravel or slate surface. As you have kids, I guess you want to keep some lawn on the left. Think about a curved path from the steps to the oak and the new surfacing.

On paper, I prefer the right hand layout and more trees.

It’s always a case, of what do you want to use it for? Where is the sun at what time of day?

I would clear the area under the oak or any scraggly grass and plant woodlands bulb and perennials - or depending on sun, put a seating area under it.

Pots either side of the steps and planting behind the wall to give it better definition - shrubs or perennials.

I think you need something central - the steps point the way to nothing. You could put in some kind of feature in the middle of the grass or against the fence. Or maybe slant those stairs so they point to the grand oak and seating area.

If the right hand side tree has been blown over, then get rid. If not, it need some kind of help upright!

My current issues

• Tree hasn’t blown over, just grown like that. It’s a sick apple tree and I want rid.
  • Garden is south facing but the trees block the light for most of the day.
  • Patio near the doors from the house is too narrow to put any outdoor furniture so it’s tucked down away from the house and so we don’t use it as much.
  • I hate that the steps point up to an ugly shed which is right in the middle of where we look out of our house.
  • I also hate the massive fir in the garden behind us which blocks all light, but I don’t think we can do anything about that.

I like the idea of maybe creating a seating area near the oak tree and getting rid of the lawn there.

1 Like

What, no garden room or massive shed?! :scream:

Yes, I cycle inside my actual house rather than a luxury garden pain cave

2 Likes

you could also give some height above the wall with some timber frames and grow climbers up them - that would help screen the “play area” and give some visual highlights from the patio/house rear. and move the shed to where it’s less visible or replace it with a pent roof unit with some glass on the front - maybe even some sort of summer room with storage

2 Likes

….replace wheelie bin with endless pool, swings with outdoor gym, morose shed with state of the art pain cave. Oh wait, that’s my to do list too!

3 Likes

@Jgav – I’ll put some more thought into this later on, but for now…

I can see the swings in your initial thoughts, but about everything else in the photo?
(Do you want/need to keep the shed, tool store, goal post, etc.)

”Patio near the doors from the house is too narrow to put any outdoor furniture so it’s tucked down away from the house and so we don’t use it as much.”

OK, so if I’m reading the layouts right…

The area behind the wheelie bin is in front of a fence, not in front of the house?

”I hate that the steps point up to an ugly shed which is right in the middle of where we look out of our house.”

Any chance of some photos showing the rear doors/windows and the current view looking out?

Similarly, any chance of some photos from an upstairs window looking down?
(As the fish eye photo is tricky to line up with the plans.)

”I also hate the massive fir in the garden behind us which blocks all light, but I don’t think we can do anything about that.”

No harm in asking your neighbour can you trim it for them.
(Especially, if you are prepared to supply/pay for a tree surgeon.)

As most people when faced with a problem tree in their garden just leave it there. :roll_eyes:

Our tree surgeon usually gets more work from neighbours who see him working in our garden.

Do you have access to the front of the house?

Are you hoping that all the soil removed when you extend the patio into the current raised area will be reallocated into another part of the garden, or will you need to get it removed?

By chance, I’ve got a couple of photos from our garden re-design and we also moved the stairs.
(From the middle of the patio to one side.)

Before:
(Well, technically ‘during’.)

After:
(With an extra hedge in front of where the stairs used to be.)

This made a HUGE difference in how we used the patio and we love sitting/eating outside. :sunglasses:

And whilst it is definitely worth getting the garden you want, don’t underestimate the work.
(We used friends working for food & drink during the day and curry & beer at night! )

”Tree hasn’t blown over, just grown like that. It’s a sick apple tree and I want rid.”

Understand getting rid of that tree, but are you removing all the others at the back too?

I was impressed with the three trees I bought in 2020, as they were a decent size to start with.

So maybe consider changing trees rather than not having any at all.

Good luck, Paul. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Jgav – OK, first thoughts….

On the initial design, the area circled looks too narrow to reach the area below the swings.

I’d keep (but trim/shape) the three trees to the left of the oak.

Then adjust the various shapes below to cover:
Shed + Tool Store side by side (or extend the garden if you want the shed next to the swings)
Table with chairs pulled out (what is the most people you need to accommodate?)
Steps to align with view/space required around swings

Usual rules of its your garden and can do what you want apply. :wink:

Cheers, Paul. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. You seem to really love gardens.

You’re right that the table is down by a bit of fence and the gate into the garden.

Do these help?

Yes.

So, if the garden gate is there, you need to leave access space.

My tip would be print all the pieces (shed, table, etc.) to the same scale at the garden drawing.

Then move them around to see what space you have left to play with and where the steps will go.

I remember doing a LOT of different drawings when I was designing my own garden.

Good luck, Paul. :slight_smile:

1 Like

exactly where we are at the mo with the blank sheet of a garden we have in our new gaff (when we get there!). in some ways a blank sheet is more difficult as there is nothing (bar fences etc) to guide you, or any idea what soil conditions are like. we know what we want to include, but it’s getting the layout right that’s the hard part.

1 Like