“Greta would be proud” thread

because there is no effective way to get it out of there and distribute it really. the heat has to be almost instantly cooled.

Smart software on distributed energy is probably the way forward but it relies on handing over some control to the likes of Centrica and no DC/DTX operators are willing to do that in any way that pays more than mere lip service to it.

5 Likes

Probably because no one wants to live next to an incredibly noisy DC and what FatPom said

1 Like

Not really seeing a problem - the Earth is self-balancing. The human population will decrease by few billion over the next few centuries. Jellyfish and a few other things will thrive and the planet will keep on spinning through space.

1 Like

kind of…in as much as it will work out its own solution, but that may not be suitable for certain current life forms and we are very much prejudiced towards that for some reason…

manufacturing?

no one wants to live under the heathrow flight path, but they do…

Don’t forget the lunar wobble

Rainforests are now emitting more CO2 than absorbing

China just do what the fuck they want

pourquoi?

Cos of the rate it’s being burnt down

is this not being offset by the increase in trees in the northern hem? (not justifying it, just asking)

There is something hotter than a major DC. My fucking bedroom right now. Jesus christ. I know heat rises but WTF.

2 Likes

So does Boris!

1 Like

Forgive my stupidity but what are DC/DTX?

Indeed and one way or another Homo sapiens will evolve into homo whatever comes next. Whether we do it naturally or whether it is imposed upon us is the only question.

The addiction to money, egos, the corruptive nature of power and it’s affects on ego, etc.

Politicians blaming other nations when perhaps they need to focus on their own nation.

These are the sort of issues that need to be overcome before real progress is likely made.

DC - Data Ctr
DTX - Data Transmission Exchange
MTX - Mobile Transmission Exchange

All essentially the same thing, big AF server farms with even bigger generators battery arrays and HVAC systems that good do a half decent job of cooling the sun!

1 Like

This is where we have found our plantation shutters really pay off. Keeping the windows just slightly open but the shutters mainly closed, keeps the house significantly cooler.

We have a portable a/c in LO’s room because her room faces south and she has the shutters also, so she doesn’t get uncomfortable. I can’t I’ve noticed that they keep heat during winter but for keeping heat out in summer, they’re amazing.

Interesting. There is definitely something odd about the way our house handles heat. Upstairs is always way hotter than downstairs. Same in winter. I’ve recently got a smart thermostat, you can get smart TRVs and a 2nd stat and make an effective dual zone system so will be doing that.

We have a portable ac system. But it’s old and very noisy. Wrong thread to say this but I have been looking at proper AC systems. You can get pre gassed 4 room diy system for 1.2k. Especially as I am pretty much permanent WFH the office can get toasty.

1 Like

One thing I like our a/c unit is that it doubles as a de-humidifier for the garage in winter. Mrs FP and i can handle the heat and humidity at obviously through being in Oz but Little One has not been exposed to that but in if she’s comfortable, we are all relaxed.

Last year, we had the a\c going in her room, well after she’d fallen asleep without issue. (I used to sneak in and switch it off) but she sleeps with a fan on year round anyway. Ours is a Blyss ‘something’

Timescales are out by several orders of magnitude between climate change and evolution. Extinction will happen long before evolution.

2 Likes

Heat rises - I don’t think you’re situation is unusual at all.

1 Like

Yeah I know that. It’s hard to explain, but the differential is far greater I this house than any other house I’ve lived in.