Hell of the North West

56 hours :astonished:

1 Like

Yeah that’s proper hat stand stuff. Awesome going dude!

1 Like

Amazing ride.

Have you a pic of bike when you started?

Stripped out or loaded up ?

1 Like

Well that is proper, proper nails. Much respect to you Sir.

1 Like

Checkpoint #8 Anglezarke Viewpoint

6 Likes

Cha-motherfucking-peau; I thought of this a few times over the weekend, and I’m astonished by getting it done.

I have to confess there’s a part of me that really likes the idea of trying things like this out, but when I stop and really, truly, think about it… I wind my neck back in and eat another pie.

5 Likes

But you can eat a lot of pies :grinning:

1 Like

@doka Have you seen the TriTalk Strava group leaderboard thing for last week?! :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Everyone else needs to pull their socks up :grin:

4 Likes

Outstanding! :clap:

1 Like

Incredible effort, well done that man.

1 Like

Nice riding.
Luckily i heard about this too late.
Unluckily the organiser said there was plenty of space.
Luckily I already had plans for that weekend.

Interested in your learning curve, kit & improvements when you’ve processed.

https://www.inov-8.com/nicky-spinks-lake-district-24-hour-record

4 Likes

Am I the only one who thinks the riding aint so bad, but the sleeping rough by the side of the road is? I couldnt do that.

1 Like

I didn’t have any experience of the climbs, Hardknott ect in that part of the world (it’s like bloody Mordor) & just didn’t imagine how steep they were. I couldn’t walk them in road cleats so had to take my shoes off (my feet are broken). I had 36 front & 34 rear which would have been more than enough for any previous hills I’ve done so would need to go 1:1 or even more, one lad had 1x and that would be worth considering.
Use spd’s instead of road cleats knowing there would be some walking.
Go lighter, ditch the tri-bars & spare cloths I took, take a real hard look at even what you consider essential and swap the 500g Hunka bivvi for a lighter emergency foil one.

2 Likes

Honestly the riding/hills is so bad at points I wanted to cry. It’s not the distance or the climbing it’s the nature of the climbing. I can knock out 3km of climbing on a Sunday ride in the peaks no bother but this kind of climbing puts you at a crawl. So many times the distance to the next checkpoint just didn’t seem to get any less after some time of riding, it was soul destroying.
I couldn’t imagine sleeping beside the road either before this but actually kind of like it. I was set up to take tent, mat & sleeping bag (this would have been really bad) before I saw a video of another saying he was only taking a bivvi bag & just the competitor in me had to do the same, I was quite worried about not having a mat.
If your tired enough though you will sleep, you don’t need to be comfortable just tired.
I had a nice idea about finding a barn with maybe some hay in it until I finally found a barn that had an opening. Shone my light in & flock of birds & bats came out & the floor moved with rats like something out of Indiana Jones! Side of the road was much nicer :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Ahh shame for her, hope she gives it another go and gets better weather, it wasn’t the best…

Cool.

I’ve been on 1x & spds since 2016 or so & the new bike has 42 front & 46 rear in preparation for some more loaded riding.
Have done 600ks on a single round of ~2hrs sleep but that’s making better progress to complete around 36hrs, adding another 200k+ and that climbing would definitely need some more. Bit of a trade off with time lost vs how much better/faster you are able to go even after a short kip.
Some routes might work for tri bars but not that one, i even took them off for PBP (partly as they have rules about how long they can be).

Doesn’t matter how much your ego wants to “win” there always comes a stage where you’ve got what you’ve got and it’s just down to managing yourself & surviving :slight_smile:

All good fun. Will see a few of those climbs on transengland this weekend :wink: you can probably still sign up if you like.

4 Likes

I’m not signing up for anything until I can at least walk again :slight_smile:

There was a mandatory 3 hour stop but I had to burn that to fix a tech issue (shit in the phone charge port flattened the phone to zero & my power bank battery with it), thought I was finished but the superb Ghyllside Cycles in Ambleside managed to sort me out. Would have been so nice to spend that time in a hotel (public toilet) and have a proper sleep.

2 Likes

The lad, John Rigby that was fist home was on a different level. He cycled the 25 mile to the start of the event from home then rode the same back after, I can’t even comprehend that. Looked like he had a 28 cassette on to me too :sob:

2 Likes