Ideas for the future of Ironman

@stenard is big into it i believe… .

Less so now, but I played for over a decade (uni, GB student’s team playing a college team near San Fran, adult incl the equivalent of Europa League), coached, and still officiate (although something is going to have to give with my time).

I go through peaks and troughs of my NFL following. I still watch every Sunday, but I’m in a trough in terms of all my other reading on the sport etc.

Doesn’t a NFL game last as long as an Ironman? :laughing:

Ah that’s awesome! I take it a decade of football took its toll on your body. What position did you play?

Never played myself but been following it since the mid 00’s

Quite enjoy this time of year watching football on Sunday evenings. Try and get the main game of interest on the tv and redzone on the iPad (wife and kids permitting)

Technically an hour. But yeah about 3 hours for the whole experience :rofl:

I believe someone once referred to NFL as “Rugby for cowards:rofl:

Phwoar. Not sure about that. They hit each other pretty bloody hard

The guy who said it isn’t exactly an athlete, I suspect it was a soundbite for his column :wink:

1 Like

My son dragged me to a domestic game at Worcester a few years ago. I’ve never been so bored, it went on for ever. I swear it went on for at least another hour after there was 7mins left on the clock.
I don’t mind it on the TV with all the analysis & interludes but live…zzzzzzzzzzz.

Yes, watching it live you really need to understand how the game works. I’ve dragged my wife to a couple of nfl games over the years and she hates it, couldn’t give a shit. Wasn’t impressed at MetLife stadium freezing in the snow in December for 4+ hours :rofl:

No, I know how it works (I used to watch quite a bit when it was first on UK TV and still watch the Superbowl most years, but still found it boring.
I know how test match cricket works, and 9 times out of 10 I find that boring too.

1 Like

Ah fair one. I find beer helps

1 Like

That’s because it IS boring (i’ve amended your stats)

1 Like

I’ve found that as I’m getting older, I’m getting less and less interested in watching sport on TV (I don’t have one), and even live events such as cycling stuff.

Whenever I tell anyone that I’m a triahtlete, they then spout on about how they saw the Brownlies on TV and weren’t they great etc etc. As if I’m an expert and give a shit!

I don’t think it’s a selfish thing, I don’t mind watching triathlons or the odd fell race when I’m helping out, the real athletes!

Years ago I’d have a season ticket for football, I followed the Lions to NZ and South Africa, and I went to my pub to watch the five then six nations and other rugby events.

Just not interested anymore. Feel a bit the same with joining any clubs, although probably like most of us, I like to train when I chose to train, and generally have no issue with my own company (Billy etc etc).

1 Like

To be fair to NFL they don’t scuttle off the pitch for rain/bad light/bit of snow etc. Wasn’t the ‘Ice Bowl’ played at about -25 with players getting treated for frostbite?

Very true. As an example of a game just from a couple of seasons ago…

Lock the thread!

NFL is the future of Ironman?

2 Likes

Okay, Poet’s getting cranky. Back on topic please :wink:

My idea is transparent pricing, none if this admin fee shite. They take a cut from that too, as Active pay them to be the online registration partner.

That, and cut entry prices by 20% :thinking::roll_eyes:

The transparent pricing is annoying - but is an industry issue I guess and not just IM.

Have just entered IM Lake Placid next year having not been in the sport for a few years - with fees, day license, and the current exchange rate it came to almost 700GBP! :flushed:

(Suddenly remembered why I hadn’t done long distance triathlon in a while, it may only be a brief return)

It’s really nice there though!