IM 70.3 St Polten

Unlucky Matt. That’s an epic bike and run. Your running has been a revelation this year. You’ve now bettered my best 70.3 run and that’s with a bike split IF way above anything I’ve ever put out.

I think Denmark will be competitive being the Euro champs, but with 100 slots it should give a good chance. May roll quite far as well. The two males from my club going (inc me) both already have slots.

Regardless, it’s good you’re focusing on the positives. As I say, that’s a pretty special bike-run combo

My best bike there was 2:32, run was 1:27. But I was in my mid thirties! Last time out there was 2010 the year of the TT gathering when I went 4:39. I think I’d be looking for something similar to Matt these days though, with a faster swim but slightly behind on bike/run.

All about Hamburg for me though this year.

1 Like

Really?

Still slots…

Haha - i tried to swim a length in our pool at the house on holiday last week and practically drowned. I think my 3 yo was quicker than me! I don’t think i would fare too well at an IM right now!!

2 Likes

The Garmin doesn’t include glides off the wall so you may well be higher than that. I typically take 17 strokes per length in 20seconds for my 25s, which on Garmin would read 26 (51) but I’m up over 60 as I easily get feet to flags off the wall.

I always try to get swimmers up-to 70 bit you look at most elite pool swimmers and triathletes and they are 80+ in many cases. To go faster you get more distance per stroke or throw the arms over faster. There comes a point the former becomes very difficult.

1 Like

???

I just throw myself over and come out on my back, then dolphin back the right way round.

I was thinking about this on my run tonight, pretty sure the Garmin SPM is more like strokes per length!
I take about five, perhaps six, breaths per length every third stroke. So I’m about 18 strokes per 25m, so that’s still about 55 Strokes per minute.
I’m off to watch Lucy Charles :wink:

1 Like

“Feet to flags” - Pool swimmer terminology make sure you break out (break surface and start first stoke) only when feet hit the 5m flags.

Posted a new swim thread;

2 Likes

Looks like Challenge have taken this over from next year, would like to do it one year but got plans for next spring.

Can’t see the cost though?

Jeff