IM Copenhagen 2020/21/22/23

I’m doing Staffordshire 70.3

Also have Manchester marathon on the calendar but current shin splint pain is making me consider a few weeks off running. Never had this pain before

2 Likes

I’m doing the Ultimate Half in Whitchurch, was only £119 late last year and now still great value, its flat, not a ridiculously early start (unlike Outlaw half which is too early anyway) so I can get there without needing accommodation and mid-June so about the right time as well, what’s not to like.

1 Like

Cotswold 113, for me, possibly a bit early but there we go

1 Like

Yep 113 for me too… timing works for me, as I’m completely incapable of taking a race easy, so need the recovery time before Copenhagen… :flushed::grin:

1 Like

I’m doing both Outlaw Holkham and Notts as prep - have wanted to do them for a while so thought why not!

I finally got around to booking my accommodation and have got a room at the Cabinn City Hotel. Still need to sort out flights but as I am now travelling on my own, it shouldn’t be a problem. Really looking forward to getting some good training miles in, over the next few months.

enjoyed them both… Notts is flat and fast, but the course is a bit boring, Holkham bike is rolling and is lovely… however, Holkham swim is a banquet of duckshit… loads of places to be made up on the Holkham run if you’ve trained, as LOTS of people start walking on the first uphill drag out of T2 because they’re not mentally prepped for it… both good races

Yeah looking to use both bike courses to get my aero position sorted before Copenhagen. I had heard of the swim being a bit shitty :sweat: but had put it to the back of my mind!

I’ve just gone an entered the wrong event! Stupidly clicked on the Oly distance Marshman rather than the HIM. Still, haven’t done an Oly in years.

So they have kindly transferred my entry to the half. Just need to decide on the timing of a second event.

1 Like

Exactly 6 months to go. All good people?

Ticking over and maintaining between 10-12 hrs/week. Weight down and running HR down. Swimming is frustrating. Just don’t seem to be making any improvements in speed, but working at it and hopefully will see some gains in the next few months.

2 Likes

pretty much sums up my Copenhagn progress too!

1 Like

Working hard to be consistent - swim is still a bit lacking,but bike and run progressing nicely.

Just booked the Outlaw Half at Bowood as a warmup event in June.

Doing most of my bike training on Zwift, and slowly building the ability to ride longer in aero position.

Weather is also a bit crap, so several long turbo and treadmill sessions. Not fun, but necessary.

2 Likes

Yep, I share your pain… 30 min Zwift ride, and then 1hr 30m on the treadmill Zwifting again as a brick today… these sessions were a lot tougher before Zwift… anyone remember Coach Troy? :joy:

3:30 planned tomorrow…looks like it’ll be indoors again.

1 Like

Shite so far. Achilles injury from September has meant my longest run so far is 5 miles. Not been in the pool since November due in the main to crappy working hours and local pools that don’t encourage weekend swimming unless you’re a club member. Biking was reduced due to the achilles as well but up to c. 30 miles on the turbo last week.

On the plus side I’m up to 8k on the concept 2!

Six months to sort some level of fitness though and hoping for a change in shifts which will make a huge difference, we shall see…

2 Likes

Best of luck. Six months is still plenty of time to turn a few things around.

1 Like

This will be my first Ironman and I’m full of self doubt right now.

I’ve done 2x 70.3s before and on both occasions have struggled on the run so I’m doing Manchester Marathon in April in the hope of building confidence.

Unfortunately a few things have limited training since Xmas; wisdom teeth removal and complications, calf injury, and a difficult time at work.

Have averaged about 7 hours a week but seem to be getting slower at swimming and running. Think I’m falling into the trap of missing training days then cramming too much into a 2 to 3 day period that leaves me very fatigued.

I’m also going to Vietnam for the first 2 weeks of March and am trying hard to keep a lid on my anxiety about not training!

Finally, I have bought my first tri bike, but fit issues have prevented me from getting used to it and the aero position. Bike fit was last week so I’m hopeful I can start building up some mileage on this from now.
I hope bike fitness from my road bike will carry over onto the tri bike?

How do you guys adjust following missed training days and do any of you have any (non-training) holidays planned?

2 Likes

We all miss training days when the real world gets in the way… best advice is just to let it go, and carry on with your plan without trying to fit the missed sessions back in.

7hrs a week is enough to see you round without suffering too much, so don’t panic!

Before my first IM, work unexpectedly dragged me to Singapore for a week and I flew to the race directly from there… shit happens… it’s not ideal, but you’ll cope.

On the slowing down bit, we all go through patches where it seems to be tough… stick with it…

Bike fitness from the roady will definitely carry over… other advice is to watch what you eat when travelling… easy to slip into eating crap, and that won’t help

2 Likes

Don’t get too stressed. My first IM was in 2017. I had completed 2 HIMs and a load of OD triathlons in the previous season. 6 months before I was knocked off my bike, broken collar bone. Recovered and then hurt my knee 3 months before. Only got running again 4 weeks ahead of IM. And to make matters worse, got a new job abroad starting 1 week after my IM, so had to sort school for 2 kids, Place to live and sort out house in UK, all while trying to train. I actually managed below 7 hours a week in the last 4 months.

Sounds like pretty shit preparation? I managed to do IM Vichy in 11h54m age 45

Basically use your time smartly and you should be fine

1 Like

As @Matthew_Spoonerand @magnacarter say, life gets in the way. Try to look at what you are doing, rather than what you are not.

If possible, just aim to get your long swim, bike and run in each week. Everything else is icing on the cake. Do you have a turbo? If not, Having one is a great, time efficient way of training. Re: tt bike and road bike, if you’re turning the cranks on whatever bike you’ve got, that’s fine. Adaptation to a tt position can take a bit of time but build up gradually and you’ll be fine.

1 Like