Increasing run cadence

Not sure if this is of any interest, but here is the cadence from my run in Lausanne

Off the bike I ran at just over 180 spm for the first 1.5km shorter strides to get my legs working after the bike, pace around 4:10/km, then settled down to around 175spm, a bit lower on the uphill section, but not as much as I expected, clearly I shorten my stride but maintain similar cadence. On the flat Cadence goes up a little, repeat for 2 laps, then pick up cadence for final 1km to 180spm. Overall pace around 4:15/km

2 years ago when I injured my knee EJC suggested that I increase my cadence and reduce me stride length. Initially my stride length came down to around 1.07m, I have been maintaining cadence but increasing my stride length again, so it is now at 1:31m.

I am not sure that this is something you can do overnight, when I initially increased my cadence, my pace dropped significantly

1 Like

As it is Friday afternoon and I was procrastinating I thought I would look at what Garmin says about me for two runs. A slightly hilly easy run and the near 5k full beans effort. I am not sure if this adds any value, but it is the first time I have looked at the two components together across two different runs so thought I would write it somewhere…

Slow and easy:
Avg Cadence: 176.
Avg Length: 1.07.
Similar numbers to what you mention above. You don’t mention stride length for the actual run, but I suspect it must be nearer 1.31 (which is what you would expect) as I was plodding around at 5:15’s

Full Beans;
Avg Cadence: 200.
Avg Length: 1.37.

Conclusion: both stride and length go up when I run hard :nerd_face:, who would have thought :slight_smile:

Bramley 20 miler - Av Cad 174
Reading Half - 181
Winchester 10km - 182
Race to the King - 124 :laughing:

Yes on that run stride length was 1.31

Looks like a people have similar cadence over the different distances when racing.

What’s the deal for recovery runs; is it common for cadence to reduce?

Also with hills - is it good practice to keep cadence consistent whether going up, down, or on the flat?

Similar is probably best but it depends on what that start point is…

close to ‘normal’ for recovery runs, but modify forward lean, knee drive and leg recovery…

Uphill: Consistent as in same as the flat? Yes

Downhill: increase cadence…

1 Like

Thanks, I was doing some hill reps over lunch. Cadence going up was ok (180), recovery going down was 170. Warm-up was 180, cool down 170. Something to keep working on.

ideally it wants to be faster down hill, but running effectively downhill is more than just about cadence…