Insured to the hilt or just winging it?

Carrying on from the discussion on insurance, thought a poll might be interesting.

What type of insurance do you currently have?
  • Life insurance (general)
  • Life insurance (covering mortgage)
  • Critical Illness
  • Income protection
  • Death in Service
  • Health
  • Dental
  • Car
  • House
  • Contents
  • Pet
  • Bike (including BC etc.)
0 voters

Putting it up as even though Iā€™ve got what most would already consider a lot of insurance, Iā€™ve been recommended to get Income Protection. It pays out 2/3 salary up to age 65 usually deferred 6 or 12 months, if youā€™re unable to work through illness. Iā€™m considering it because Iā€™ve seen what happens if for example you get cancer and are unable to work.

I get ā€œpermanent health insuranceā€ through work. Basically, if Iā€™m off work through ill health for more than 6 months then it ā€œshouldā€ pay me 80% of my salary until Iā€™m well enough to work again or reach my state retirement age.

Contractually, my employer can drop me to 50% salary after 3 months absence and 0% after 6 months, but in practice most people are kept on full pay until the PHI kicks in.

From what Iā€™ve seen, the insurer keeps pressure on the claimants to try to get them back into work.

My employer also provides life insurance at 4x salary.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a really nice benefit, our company sick pay policy is really poor in comparison.

I get a fair bit through work. Death in Service, Health etc. Pet insurance is worth it, Last dog had cancer that was thousands covered by the insurance.

1 Like

Ive got critical illness as part of my original endowment I took out 22 years ago. It matures in 2024 though so will be gone but I have the lump sum then anyway! I was told to keep the endowment because of it, even though I on a repayment mortgage now.

winging it

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a ROAD iD.

4 Likes

+1 for the RoadID!

One of the regulars on TT1.0 (400m?) got wiped out by a car while on a solo training ride. He had no ID on him and was unconscious, but one of the coppers was a cyclist/triathlete, knew that his Planet X bike was only available direct from PX and was able to use the bikeā€™s frame number and PXā€™s sales records to identify him and contact his family :open_mouth:

10 Likes

Lucky it wasnā€™t second hand.

I always take a credit/debit card out with me so that I have something with my name on and for emergency purchases. My biggest mistake it not putting it back in my wallet the second I get home.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never seen the point of income protection. The get out clauses are insane. Most of them require 13wks unemployment, then pay 2/3rds of a defined salary (minus bonus and OT) for a limited amount of time.

The premiums are crazy as you get older as well.

1 Like

They tried to sell it to me on one of my mortgages in the past, ended up theyā€™d pay for 6 months interest only.

Ok hows this for weird.

Renewal quote came through for the Aygo, current policy is for me + missus+ 2 uni students:

1615370485-picsay
I go to a price comparison website and ADD our youngest who has literally just turned 17:

With exactly the same insurer

4 Likes

Interesting. I have it. I have ever since i took on a mortgage. Wouldnt want to lose my home if I got knocked off my bike and needed years of rehab if it was serious.

Work would pay me full salary for 6 months anyway, so that delay is not a problem. And then it pays up to retirement. It was index linked when I took it out 8 years ago. It was sufficient to pay mortgage and bills at that time, and the indexing means itā€™s now pretty much sufficient to cover the new place now as well. Itā€™s less per month than weā€™d pay on a takeaway.

1 Like

Woah there!
Thatā€™s some darkAF thoughts there!

1. Lawyer up. Youā€™ve been knocked off - if youā€™ve got BC, they can provide a lawyer, if not, you generally get Ā£100k legal cover via your home insurance (check the policy)
  2. Their insurance would pay out a lump sum to cover all of that rehab and loss of income etc
  3. Even if theyā€™re uninsured, your home insurance probably has some accident cover in there (check it)
  4. Youā€™re getting 6 month full pay, so Iā€™m guessing that your employer may pay 6 months half after that, too?

Income Protection is the ā€œone step too farā€ policy for me.
Although I also donā€™t have pet insurance and just use savings when he needs a vaccine or something.
I donā€™t have BC cover for the reasons Iā€™ve outlined above.

3 Likes

Maybe I need to reassess. I didnā€™t take the redundancy element as Iā€™m confident thatā€™s not a concern, but thereā€™s a whole host of instances where you could be incapacitated and not able to work (the bike example was just one), and when my salary was the sole contributor to my mortgage (which I guess is now not the case), being off work was a real concern.

Especially with my upbringing, where my dad had serious health complications and was unable to work for years. My parents very nearly lost our home (family stepped in, but not until black marks on credit scores - I only became aware of this when I turned 18 and my mum had to tell me if I applied for credit at our address I may get rejected as I have the same initials as my dad did) and we were living hand to mouth. The fear of something (whatever it may be) meaning I was unable to work semi-permanently is a legitimate concern.

Although, as I say, now Iā€™m engaged and on a joint mortgage, maybe I need to reassess as to whether thatā€™s the right protection to secure my fiancĆ©es future. The Ā£500k death in service at work would just about pay off the mortgage, so weā€™ve got that covered.

3 Likes

For a bike accident you almost certainly would be covered by insurance from somewhere, but we all know how sticky insurance companies can be and how long it takes for people to get their pay-outs.

I would be more concerned by something like a cancer diagnosis, which could prevent you from working for an extended period. My employer-funded permanent health insurance kicks in after 6 months off work and pays 80% of my salary. If for some reason the PHI refused to pay out, Iā€™d drop to zero pay for six months and then lose my job.

Itā€™s a great benefit to have, but Iā€™ve only seen one instance of it being used in the 15 years that Iā€™ve worked here.

Vaccinations and dental work are not covered by pet insurance.

On average, you must end up paying more to the insurer than they pay out or they would go out of business, but it helps smooth out the cost of the big items. Our insurer paid out for a Ā£2,500 MRI scan for our dog when she had a suspected back problem. The scan came back clear, but if it hadnā€™t then she might have needed a Ā£5,000 back operation.

Vet bills can get very expensive, very quickly. Even if you put money away every month as a contingency fund, thereā€™s no guarantee that the expensive vet bills are going to happen late in the petā€™s life.

2 Likes

Not quite. The population of people who insure on average get paid out less than the premiums. But then thereā€™s reinsurance, so the insurer is generally covered in catastrophic instances where payouts greatly exceed the premium income.

Edit: otherwise, you may as well just self-insure by putting equivalent premiums into a savings account.

Read the small print on the ā€˜not able to workā€™ as most policies define that as being able to do any work. So if you earn for example, Ā£70k p/a doing your regular but suddenly because of illness or an accident, you can only get a minimal pay job at Tesco or something, the policy wonā€™t pay because you can work.

Most of them protect you from not being able to work but they donā€™t preserve your old salary.

1 Like