Iron Distance Long Run/Rides and Taper

only one comment - not seeing any bricks in the plan. It might be worth doing a couple of short runs - 5km max kind of thing - after a long bike just to get a feel for how the legs will feel off the bike. you’ll have enough run and bike miles in the bag by the last 4/5 weeks so time to start playing around with other things and stimulate the mind a bit.

Love a good brick session!

See penultimate week here -

And five more bricks

IGNORE THE TSS :rofl:
It’s done something weird

2 Likes

good man - nice short bricks

Yeah, I usually do one longer one the week before plus a 70.3.
But not doing a 70.3 this year, so thought doing that course familiarisation day would be of more benefit.

Plus I tend to race them all out and I’m whacked for a few days afterwards, so that’s also a plus :+1:t3:

The volume your doing now you will be fine.

Just eat and drink enough and don’t do it in extreme temps.

1 Like

…Cant stop looking at the TSS!

1 Like

My century rides are from 285-400 TSS, depending on terrain.
I’ve corrected them in the app now :+1:t3:

1 Like

Just stop training now, think of the tapir

“You got this bro, you’ve got 17hrs to be an Ironman ™”

7 Likes

Looks more aero at the front end than most. :wink:

4 Likes

I usually did my last long run (20 mi/32km) three Thursday’s out, so just over 2 weeks. My last Long Ride is two weeks from race day.

However. When I did a 20 mile run on the first Tuesday of my first ‘taper’ week before IM Austria, it was fine. I ran 3:34 without walking a step 12 days later :tipping_hand_man: Additionally, I didn’t even take it particularly easy; frequently dipping into Z3 iirc, as it was hot.

Now that Ironman is in the rear-view mirror for me for the foreseeable future, I would say just try to enjoy the whole process; something that was lacking in much of my Ironman training over the years. It was more like a mission than a hobby!

7 Likes

that ^^^^^

My TP Run TSS is regularly garbage when Wrist HR is involved.

I think run TSS on TP is generally a bit crap. Maybe i’ve not got it setup in the way it likes, but i find it rewards cycling much more (relative) than running. Especially when you start throwing decent hills in on the run.

1 Like

Yeah, trying to enjoy it as much as possible really.
Not much is feeling like a chore…yet!

Last nights hill+2km repeats were bliss, this mornings swim has put me on a proper upper!
(Actually thought of you saying how quickly I get my swim speed back…then remembered not to shy away from the 500m repeats either :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

That TSS is what TP generates when I create a workout. I mean, I rarely follow what the workout says, they’re more placeholders to do that sport around that time on that day - generally easy/mod/hard session in one of each each week.

Mix up drills, speed, hills and intervals. With recovery.

It’s not rocket science, is it :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

As mentioned, what purpose would a long run serve other than add more fatigue

https://www.coachcox.co.uk/2011/06/13/ironman-racing-an-example-two-week-taper/

2 Likes

It’s gone!
Cancelled tomorrow’s, well, reduced the distance a fair bit :+1:t3:

I’ve always said that, my N=1 was running the London marathon gave me the same TSS as a century ride. One I was walking backwards downstairs for a week, the other I was training the next day.

2 Likes

Well, actually, there’s the matter of ‘conditioning’ where running legs are concerned.

I get the opposite. My FTP is so high that normal cycling gives me pretty low TSS. As my run Threshold Pace also keeps getting faster, now 3:55/km I also need to work harder on the run as well.

And looming larger…I’d start training now mate before it hits you. And eating maurten. #yougotthis

4 Likes