IRONMAN Barcelona 2019

Ha, yeah I was pretty pleased with the 1.07 at Bolton. It came through being extremely disciplined on the climbs and letting people go when they went past me. Although Bolton was extremely hilly the descents were short and sharp meaning the vast majority of the 6hrs was spent either on climbs or flat(ish) sections so made it easier to see the power steady. It gave me a TSS of 320 so was surprised I was able to run at all on the back of it.

Were you putting a lot of power down on the descents?

I did Bolton and know the course and can’t see me ever being under 1.1-1.12 on that course.

Don’t remember the course in detail but I remember putting down some power on the few descents that make you think they are going to on longer than they actually do - and then having to slam the brakes on to turn off onto yet more uphill!

1 Like

Thanks @Adam. Parts of the course are nice and take you along the coast right next to the sea. Both laps include an uphill section on a featureless motorway. Nothing that got me out of the big ring but they were good fun going back down. Road surface was pretty favourable. Basically the exact opposite of Bolton, hence the 90 minute differential. There was good support in Calella itself but very little out on the course but then I’ve been spoiled 4 times at Tenby.

1 Like

If you’re seeing that much disparity, then one of them is surely faulty. You can get some small differences here and there, and depending on where the power meter is in the drive train, but you shouldn’t be seeing significant disparity like you’ve quoted.

As DCR says, things nowadays have to be accurate and consistent with the market of power meters. And his reviews generally show all decent brands broadly in line with one another.