IRONMAN Barcelona 2021

I’d have lost the deposit and cut my losses.

That said my family sold a fishery for seven figures so maybe other people would think differently.

My comment wasn’t a dig at you or anyone else going on holiday, your certainly safer in most places than here at the moment.

I would be going without a doubt if i had a significant amount of money staked on it. As long as the holiday wasn’t completely ineffective i.e. you were stuck unable to move around and all that jazz.

Yeah, I wouldn’t go if that were the case. I’m not flying for hours just to sit in an air conditioned hotel room. But I could live with the necessary quarantine here after returning if we’d be able to do everything over in Turkey largely unrestricted.

I wouldn’t have any concerns about going away if I didn’t have to quarantine while there or on return.

I haven’t booked anything but depending on how the coming months go I would like to go abroad for a little break. Might not come off, and I’d be booking at short notice, assuming the prices aren’t crazy.

Social distancing doesn’t apply to people living in the same household, so the airlines could get clever with their seat allocations and have space between people from different households without necessarily flying the planes half empty.

1 Like

What, like…

“you 3 all live together right :wink: !RIGHT!”

3 Likes

You’re Capt Birdseye’s son?

3 Likes

I’m aware that it’s a different country with different issues but thought it was worth mentioning that in the last hour or so Ironman Portugal originally scheduled for 26th September has been postponed to 7th November.

I’d originally been due to race Lanzarote but took up the offer to switch to Portugal when Lanza got canned. At that point (early April) I was still desperate to race this year. Just a few weeks later and I found myself hoping that Portugal would also go the same way as Lanza.

They’ve offered me the opportunity to shift my registration back to Lanza for next year or to defer to Portugal 2021.

As things stand I’m not 100% convinced racing will be happening in time for Lanza next year. It’s more likely I’ll either defer to Portugal 2021 or see if Ironman will agree to transfer me into a different race in the back half of next year.

I know that Ironman can rub people up the wrong way – especially with the refusal to offer refunds however, I’ve found them to be pretty accommodating this year. Around February I guessed that Lanza wouldn’t go ahead and asked to transfer to Bolton. Within a day or so it became pretty clear that Bolton was also unlikely to go ahead so I contacted them asking if I could transfer back to Lanza (knowing it would be cancelled but wanting to be on the list to defer to Lanza ’21). They got back to me within the day agreeing to allow me to transfer back to Lanza without any issues.

In February I was worried I’d not get the chance to race this year. Now I’m just relieved I won’t be racing. It’s good to have some certainty back and allows me to concentrate on other things. I’d wanted to try and get back to Kona this year but now looking at Kona 2022 as a possibility when I’ll be one of the spring chickens in the 45 – 49 ag (gulp!). Looking at late a qualifying race in 2021 – (Portugal or other) it’s good to have a realistic goal back on the horizon even if it is a long long way away.

3 Likes

Your a natural optimist I see…
Seriously your probably right

Unfortunately

I got told the water can be quite cold at Portugal, but it could have been the Challenge race. It’s only 6 weeks later but I’m guessing it will be a bit colder.

The 70.3 is on the Saturday isn’t it, presuming that has been moved as well.

Late September it was absolutely fine - but it is the Atlantic after all

Yes, the water is pretty cold off Portugal; definitely wetsuit legal. Too far south for the Gulf Stream

We’ve got this decision to make soon, we’re £300 in at the moment with a 4 figure sum to pay out for a trip to NY in September, thinking of dropping the deposit and waiting until next year. We may be able to just move the booking and not lose the deposit but don’t want to piss a load up the wall for a city that may well still be close to shut down

2 Likes

At least ours is an all inclusive resort. For TUI to claim they can run the holiday, the resort would have to be open I’d assume

On the Portugal situation, 70.3 is on the Sunday which it always was I believe. As they’ve just moved the dates I’ve just started looking at re-booking things. Seems fairly low risk regarding loosing money at the moment. Most places on Airbnb are doing free cancellation till a week or so before. I’ve got a travel voucher already for BA and as they do included bike carry i’m going with them and after checking the T&Cs they are doing free cancellations (refund via voucher)/change of dates for bookings made until 31st July for trips till the end of the year. Pretty risk free if things go tits up.

I’m waiting to see what the options for Vitoria are when announced this week. I mooted the option of doing Portugal in Nov to the gf yesterday, as next year is already getting so backed up, I’m somewhat keen in trying to fit in one of the two fulls I’d entered for this year. Even if it wasn’t an optimal performance like I’d originally planned, next year is going to be carnage anyway if I try and do 2 marathons, a half, and a full, in the space of 3 months, so there’s going to be no optimal performance there anyway.

For some reason I see Portugal as having a higher chance of going ahead than Wales, even though the former would require international travel.

Yeah I’m very much of the same thinking that Portugal going ahead is more likely than my other UK event which is Manchester Marathon which has been moved till October (at the moment). They are meant to be giving a further update on that this week. I wonder how much of lead they will take will depend on what VLM do.

I was thinking Harry Ramsden :rofl:

1 Like

VLM is going to be a real bell weather; they surely cannot hold it - the press will be on it like harbour sharks. Press are already after anyone on a beach and even though from most photos people are fairly spaced out they’re still ‘covidiots’.

Imagine what they’d report at VLM.

Once VLM falls the rest of the Sept/Oct dominoes will fall.

2 Likes

Bellwether.

I used it in an instant message today in a Conf Call; so checked first :sweat_smile: