Ironman Lanzarote 2021

I know its bad Juju to start the Lanzarote thread, but I cant have any worse luck than I did last year so I am doing it.

General entries open Monday. Who’s in?

Next few moths for me is all about the weight loss and getting back on it. Then need to build that bike strength over the winter.

2 Likes

I’m in👍

Oh and I’m in for that weight loss thingy too :scream:

1 Like

You’re okay; I think it’s starting a thread before this year’s race has taken place was considered bad juju?

I did that for Austria in 2008 for the '09 race. As a result, I hit my head off a bridge a week before the race, needing stiches at A&E , had my slowest Ironman swim and then totally over-biked the first 90km and walked much of the last half of the run…:flushed:

5 Likes

:rofl:

No, please no! Well maybe…

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

BlockquoteAs a result, I hit my head off a bridge a week before the race, needing stiches at A&E , had my slowest Ironman swim and then totally over-biked the first 90km and walked much of the last half of the run…:flushed:

And he still got his PB :smiley:

1 Like

Ha, it was my slowest time Graham. Although that’s now superceded by Frankfurt in 40 degrees.

I think I will be in

Conditions are obviously savage, but savage for everyone - so whilst your time may be slow your relative position may be same/better or worse than on an easier course.
I cant decide about this one - it scares me!
What sort of athlete does well here, or is it as simple as if you are strong in (say) Hamburg/Frankfurt you will be strong here?

1 Like

What sort of athlete does well? Good question. A strong confident swim is needed. It’s still mass start and can be a bun fight. Lot of climbing and wind so a light but powerful cyclist. Run is flat, but hot.

I’m 6’5’’, 95kg at my best, massive sweat monster. So basically the opposite of me.

6 Likes

You need to be able to handle the biff, the wind and the heat.

And carry a spare valve extender.

1 Like

So pretty much complete triathlete !
At least with Nice its climbing but less wind; with Lanza the flat bits can be even slower…
And I am a terrible swimmer; best swim was in calm of Roth - minimum biff !

1 Like

Never interested me this one, primarily the thought of the long training in a cold north England wintertime, next to no chance of any outdoor swimming and then race day could be mid 20’s.

Jeff

That’s because there’s zero sighting required in Roth! Whenever I’m at the lake I’m often passing people who’ve almost come to a stop to see where they’re going :thinking:

Working on getting back out there for next year but let’s see

1 Like

Anyone here got any tips on accommodation short term, Friday and a Saturday night only, I can fly in on Friday am and back Sunday just need cheap and cheerful in PDC.
Thanks

Airbnb. There are flats in PDC 5 mins from the start for 20-30 a night. Supermarkets near by and eating out is dirt cheap.

We are deciding if we will have a family holiday but if we dont and I go alone I’ll be doing this.

2 Likes

You have to check in on Thurs and attend the briefing.

I was thinking of getting in on the Thursday. Do you think there will be enough time if I land 10 ish.

Sorry can’t figure out how to quote, I have never registered on Thursday always Friday at bike check in, never been to briefing either.
Did that this year and it is easy as…get stuff spend about 30 mins sorting kit then drop off.
Just e mail them and it get it approved.