Ironman Sold

I think the smaller companies set up to put on events will fold, leaving people to claim off their CC (or be screwed if they paid with a debit card)

Never was going to be, that was a pipedream

That guy is such a hypocritical fraud. I called him out on his racism against Korean flight attendants (and sexism), that didn’t go do down well.

He always makes grandiose statements such ‘nobody knows more than me about xxxx in triathlon. I am the custodian’ blah blah. Then the next minute he’s asking whether anybody has a contact for so and so in the industry!

He came out with a great one the other day about he’d been having a ‘back and forth’ with Ironman re IMVR. What a crock of shit.

Dollars to doughnuts, he comes with some BS like ‘I knew about it but was sworn to secrecy’ BTW, here’s where we will discuss this. (linking a hastily thrown together front page article)

Ironman is a bit like a football club; it has a loyal following that despite moaning incessantly and stamping their feet always pay and turn up. Oh and they also buy any old tatt with the right logo on it for top dollar.

Don’t forget the Ironman business model is stunning: majority of cash comes in a year before the event and 6 months before any real outlay and most of the workforce are volunteers or seasonal/zero hours.

Their cancellation/deferrals will be very strategic as they have so many races - cancelling races that don’t sell out (hence not cannibalising next year’s event with deferrals) other races that do sell out will try and squeeze another edition in etc. Their aim will be more sold out races and not giving any of this year’s cash back.

2 Likes

ST talking up PTO’s influence on the new owners. Dream on

I think that Advance are far more interested in the income demographic of IM athletes, and synergies with some of their existing markets. Not sure that Professional Triathletes are particularly interesting for them

However, it appears that Advance do own Discovery Channel, so maybe IM may have better content production and distribution (if someone can work out how to make it interesting)

Which is one hell of a challenge

1 Like

Advance own Discovery…Discovery own GCN/GTN…

just spotted this elsewhere - could this be the guy leading the charge here??

“Helping to fund the transaction is Orkila Capital. It’s managing partner, Jesse Du Bey, will be on IRONMAN’s board of directors. This is the second time Du Bey has been instrumental in the purchase of the IRONMAN Company. He was the lead figure at Providence Equity Partners when that private equity company purchased the brand from longtime IRONMAN owner Dr. James Gills, who purchased the brand from Valerie Silk in 1989. Du Bey Jesse brought IRONMAN to Providence in 2008, managed that investment for 5 years before leaving to found Orkila.”

Yeah; I saw that as well
He may be the brains by this and got advance to jump on as well

Exactly this. He spoke to Lance face to face and has known him for years and KNOWS he’s clean beasue I asked him and he told me. But then :joy: :joy: :joy: it turns out he didn’t didn’t know sociopaths are good at lying.

I clicked on the glasses article but then quickly realised it was advert BS. The only reason to go there it for laughing at the forum. If I’m busy I rarely go there nowadays.

2 Likes

Discovery own Lance, a return to IM for Mr Armstrong…ha ha ha

2 Likes

Just wait for the new Haute Couture merchandise from Gucci et al :upside_down_face:

A Rapha and Gucci collaboration, black with green and red bands :ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

They could produce a joint kit, called ‘Gapha’, for anyone from London…

4 Likes

Dude.
Any collab worth it’s salt uses the following format:

Rapha x Gucci

Sheesh

1 Like

Empfield is a fcuking arrogant shill.

He’s probably rocking in a corner right now, because only a handful of ST douchebags care about ‘the orthodoxy of bike fit’ at the moment.

3 Likes

The other similarity with a football club is that their customer/fan base feel an ownership of the brand and have strong opinions about how it should be run (i.e. for their benefit, not for the benefit of the owner)

2 Likes

For my personal benefit. ie Ironman should be organised solely for people who aim to KQ - no one else is relevant, Until of course I do qualify for Kona, then it needs to be organised differently.

2 Likes

The other similarity, could be that a few bad performances, and you find yourself in the wilderness, with fewer supporters than you thought.

Sometimes though they just keep on going with a lingering hope that one day it will be sunshine and roses, god knows we live on hope