Ironman UK 2019

Bolton must give a good Kona shout to a strong biker. It’s close enough to Kona that it won’t attract the top guys who can almost guarantee a slot - as they will book their slots earlier, and it’s not going to attract people going for a (drafted) fast time or relying on a fast run off an easy bike.

Yes, I’d agree with a bit of that buzz, also the fact that it’s quite close to Kona, doesn’t leave a massive amount of time for recovery, and paying for it all etc., a lot of accommodation is probably already booked.

I think there’s roll-downs quite often, I know of one in my A\G who is often top 3 and I don’t think he’s ever took it.

Jeff

The vast majority of the people who deferred, backed out, moved races wouldn’t have made the cut off bike time.

I have spoken to several on the loop who were averaging 11-13 mph, the extra 3000+ feet and slow technical descents makes for grim riding. Most were already looking at completing in 17 to start with.

Some very fast athletes on there too, the comments from Foggy on the podcast about it speak volumes, if it rains it will be carnage.

I honestly wish I was doing outlaw.

3 Likes

What podcast is this of which you speak?

Marc Laithwaites
“ brick session”
Endurance store.
That foggy is a bike beast, if he says it slow and dangerous …

erm, yes…that’s put me right off!

The Brick session is Mark Livesey. Mark Lathwaite is local tri legend and runs The Endurance Store and Epic Events.

I did everything I could to transfer out but could not find availability or anything affordable.

Gonna drag my arse round coz it passes a lot of family and friends’ houses and there will be a lot of support. I’ll definitely be on my road bike though.

Not looking forward to it one bit :disappointed:

I’m on the roadie too…!
First time for road bike in an A race in nearly 30 years.
It’s awful
But “ it is what it is”
According to love Island!

3 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy:

Livsey is ex forces, so obviously a top bloke :wink:

Seems like a top bloke but the interviews are painful.
Ask 3 min question, with a prediction of what the answer will be
Listen to answer for 10 seconds then talk about own similar experience.

The shows with the other guys are superb.

I’m working through some of the old episodes, did enjoy the Claire Cashmore interview recently but she’s always lovely so he couldnt have done a bad interview with her.

Remember he was in the Engineers, not a Cavalry officer. Although that would be make for a much worse interview :smiley:

Painful as it was, I had to video myself for some market research (££ init). I thought how stereotypically forces I sounded when I watched it back.

Just seen something about a further tweak to the course, and apparently they added more climbing!

1 Like

I’ve found the old Bolton 3 lapper and the not quite as old 2 lapper with Hunters both slower than Tenby, for me about 15 mins.

Bolton is a decent KQ shout, I saw 40-44 roll to 13th, bloke cried his eyes out going up. I wasn’t far off crying as well, was quicker than him but in 45-49 which had far less roll…

Tenby is a much better experience in just about any way you care to consider it, other than the KQ chance. Nothing rolled even a place in the Mamil AGs last year.

The new one is nothing like the two loop course
It’s up to 2700m or is it 800…
Added a hill and a fast descent in tuttington, cut out one of the few flat bits…
Be an experience for sure…

more climbing than Lanza now so is Bolton the new toughest ironman in the world !

I just cannot get excited about racing in Bolton, I am sorry and am sure it is a beautiful town, full of lovely warm people and my life would be richer for the experience but Bolton…
Tenby and Lanza are awesome and dates work well for me…I have not been to Klagenfurt but would like to have a crack at that or Vitoria G.
I am not hearing anything regarding the race that is going to change my thoughts…it just sounds grim.
Sorry Bolton

I moved to NW last year and joined Tri club. Let’s of recommendations while on club rides up Sheephouse and Hunters Hill etc and I could imagine it being great when combined with convenience of no hotel etc.
More doubtful now on new course but will see what support is like, make the most of it and then likely aim Lakesman next year instead.

Unofficial but yes there’s another route online. Very minor change in scheme of things