Ironman Virtual Racing

So, the big question, how does 2:15 compare to your normal 70.3 (fast and flat) splits?

Itā€™ll be interesting to see how they end up ranking the whole event

Yeah, itā€™s a flattering time. No doubt.

Though Iā€™ve never been on a flat bike course, I think my theoretical best performance would be 2h30. Certainly in this case with no run afterwards until tomorrow. I put in a 0.81IF so roughly equivalent to a half iron bike legā€¦but I donā€™t ever think Virtual Racing will be Race Simulation.

I was hoping to compare Zwift/Powertap time with TR/Elite Zumo time, but Zwift crapped out a couple of times. Iā€™d hooked up the Garmin to the Powertap instead of the Zumo, which screwed up the TR file, so I went with the Garmin/Powertap data. I have no idea how reliable that is, but for this event with everyone winning a ā€œdigital badgeā€ I donā€™t really care too much :grinning:

ā€”editā€”

Iā€™ve just gone back to my IMCH2019 file, looking at the first 20km +38m (torrential rain) I developed 35.7kph from an avg 167W, 0.69IFā€¦so is 40kph reasonable from an avg 201W, 0.81IF in flat perfect conditions?

Actually, a bit more concerning is the Strava run data. I use Strava all the time for run, and this was my regular 5k route, and showed 24:50 when I stopped. After it uploaded, this magically became 23:45 - a feasible PB for me, and a bit unlikely given I was talking/broadcasting on FaceBook Live at the time.

Not a bad experience for me so far - 1 x 5k treadmill run successfully uploaded, and the 90k bike uploaded from Zwift with no problems. Thereā€™s a difference between treadmill speed and Garmin 920XT predicted speed for an indoor run, but seeing as Iā€™m not troubling anyone for a podium then Iā€™m not bothered. It gives a nice bit of focus and purpose to the training.

1 Like

You donā€™t have to use Zwift for an indoor ride do you. If canā€™t get outside was going to use BKOOL and link that to Garmin - assuming they garmin account is uploading to IM should work still I assume ?

1 Like

I ended up loading from my Garmin edge connected to power meter, into Strava and into IronmanVirtualClub.

You can do direct from Garmin to IMVC too.:+1:

1 Like

Am I mad or is Lange racing right now?

Joe Skip was on the MX Endurance podcast this week. Quick chat about IMNZ, then his 325km ride (he still resolutely defends and thinks heā€™s in the right).
More interesting and agreeable is his thoughts at IM Virtual for not being ready to be any more than a game. Laughable that IM think they can offer NZ slots for it, appears thereā€™s no clarity, and question whether they could even attempt to monetise it.
Finished with a quick chat on his whole career and how he got into tri/became a pro.

1 Like

Now apparently TOD tripped over Carfreaā€™s power lead on her turbo and she had to DNF :rofl:

4 Likes

I saw that. :joy:

1 Like

My 2:15 bike beat Patrick Langeā€™s 2:20 :muscle::muscle::muscle:

Next weekend is a pseudo 5150; 3km run, 40km bike, 10km run

1 Like

Did you have Andi Dreitz working for you instead?

Iā€™ve signed up for the next one.

Distances much more palatable

1 Like
1 Like

Leave me alone. Getting a reminder every two minutes!!

2 Likes

Glad I didnā€™t register then!

Iā€™m up to 43 emails - think it may have stopped

1 Like

If only they were so happy to communicate about non-virtual IMā€¦

2 Likes

I see theyā€™ve got themselves into a bit of hot water with Strava, who have cut them off entirely

The response from IM to the whole thing is remarkableā€¦ its like a petulant child throwing a wobbly!

1 Like