Ironman Wales 2019

Don’t underestimate that, especially after a big event.

Did my first 100 miler last year, in Feb. It smashed me physically, mentally and emotionally. Like proper wrecked me. 3 weeks off with a busted up foot and ankle, and then just had no energy or mojo to train once i could get back running again. Decided i would still enter another 100 miler in June as a bunch of mates were doing it, just for a laugh. Had firmly decided to just enjoy it, and if it got silly then to just drop out as it was more of a training/social event as opposed to a targeted race.

Started with 6/7 friends - all of them had focussed specifically on this race. I barely trained in the weeks leading up to it, just ticked over and did what i felt like. no pressure. Was in no great shape (i didn’t think).

Started the race with my friends, having a laugh not knowing what was to come. Started to pull away from them as i was feeling decent. Ended up coming 2nd overall. Was over 2 hrs ahead of the best finishing of our group. Over 6 hrs quicker than some of the others.

That came absolutely out of the blue. Looking back, i think i could have given the leader a good race (he finished only 30 mins ahead, but i thought he was hours away). Though i’ll never know. Did i finish strong as i went in with no pressure and just built throughout the race, clsoing the gap constantly in the back (hardest terrain) 50? Or would i have finished faster if i went quicker from the start? Who knows.

My point being, there was plenty of residual fitness there to carry me through and my body was obvioulsy in the place it needed to be. Even without the dedicated and focussed training programme.

5 Likes

chin up.
You really don’t need to crush training if you have already had a big race.

I’ve done two IMs 6 weeks apart (swissman and zurich) and another 2 a big longer (Nice and Wales)

Each time I just did some quality sessions when I felt like it and didn’t train if I didn’t.
The quality sessions were often very good on the back of my previous fitness but there was little consistency.

Both Zurich and Wales were great races.

And you have ages until Wales :slight_smile:

Think this is going to be my last IM race in 2021. Year off full distance next year. Was a toss up between Wales or Lanzarote. Wales is just easy, logistics wise and will tag on a holiday afterwards. Can’t wait to hear how it goes.

Yeah as others have said don’t worry about it. 7 months of 100% commitment was enough for me this year, four weeks from IMUK and I’m still just doing whatever I fancy day to day, best yet has been a 10k evening run to enjoy the sunshine with friends. I had planned to target an autumn event but probably just going to carry on the gym and yoga etc until I want to train.

Agree with everyone else, including tuckngo for just some specific sessions to stay sharp. I swam this morning and was by far best session in over a year, clearly shaking off residual fatigue.

Thank you all for the encouragement. I know I need to just listen to my body and not torture myself if I need to prioritise sleep or rest over a scheduled training session.

Last year I did two fifty mile trails runs about six weeks apart. I was fine for both, but afterwards I had an energy slump that lasted maybe two months. I still trained and even did a cheeky half Ironman (without any swim training … nearly came out last), but I couldn’t stitch together anything consistently. Basically as a mid 40s gent I need to accept the I can push my body hard, but I also need to give it proper rest and probably a proper off-season.

Anyway, got a dawn bike ride in this morning and it was glorious. I love my bike!

4 Likes

Boom. That’s your session done for the next couple of days. Enjoy it and rest.

If the IMJ doom mongers are to be believed :joy: but 3000 people have only entered to defer to next year’s 10th anniversary special so it looks like I’m game on for Kona by just showing up :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking of doing something similar for IMUK (bag a discount and beat the price rise!)

1 Like

Less than 1 month until Ironman Wales. So how is everyone progressing?

I am getting very excited!

2 Likes

Mixed. Swim is steady, I should be good for 1:08-1:10.

Bike coming nicely, couple of sub 4 100 TTs and 262 miles in a 12 hour TT last w/e.

Run is a concern, just can’t get a decent block down without a niggle. Been good month followed by injured month all year- no consistency. Hip injury, plantar fasciitis, knee issue, currently easy treadmill only due to a pain on top of my foot. Suspect the run will sting and I’ll watch everyone fly by when I crash and burn in the second half.

Excited though, it really is a magical day. My 5th IMW, the only IM I’ve done that I just want to keep going back to.

Given current weather patterns I fear a 2017 stormy wet one…

6 Likes

Bring a proud Welshman…
I’ll have to do this one day, could be tough to get in next year…

Great great reviews …

Hope the weather is better than 17…

Not gonna happen for me, hip injury, lack of motivation, life and family stuff.

I have come to the conclusion that I am rubbish at completing plans, autumn, winter and spring training is justified by the plans to race the following summer, but when it comes to the crucial bits, of icing the training and competing I find excuses not to race. Having done Lanza this year I am still training but without the pressure (self induced) of racing.

Roth will be my only long race next year…until the red wine, credit card and 2020 race calendar combine into the perfect storm!

2 Likes

But you did race this year, so you are already miles ahead of 99% of people!

4 Likes

A few would just do Roth…
Looks epic…
Red wine… the old Red Devil … sends me quite mad !

Stick at it!

…gonna be a long run this year …
“You will find these bags at 67 miles & 109 miles on the bike and 10 miles, 21 miles, 31 miles & 42 miles on the run.” :joy:

2 Likes

Makes it feel more real though, when you start to get the logistic emails. Tempting to leave a freeze box with a cornetto in the aid box and pick it up at mile 42 to eat it as you cross the line

And so it’s race week and the hourly checking of the weather forecast.

Third time for me making the short trip down the coast; slightly mixed feelings as I know I’m fit and fairly ready, just not as fit as previous years, so know my main danger is overcooking the bike chasing previous performances.

Who else is lining up on North Beach?

4 Likes

I’ll be on the beach, whether i am in a wetsuit or civvies is still to be decided.

2 Likes

Aquabike
Aquabike
Aquabike!

1 Like

What’s the sea like, are there any rip currents forecast? :wink::crazy_face:

1 Like