Kayaking & Canoes

Yup that’s a “white water” kayak and quite similar to what they use in canoe polo. It means you can turn really quickly and also do complete barrel rolls really easily to right yourself.

However, having said that, do not underestimate the core strength and stability required to keep a true flat water kayak upright.

For “throwing in the car”, you may want to look at iSUP with the kayak seat attachment or inflatable versions from decathlon or similar.

2 Likes

You’re not wrong, white water, stunts on flat water or surfing.
My hope was that, having no intention of doing any of those things (although a bit of surfing on small waves might be nice) I would still be able to tootle about in it and just enjoy being on the water.

I ruled out iSUP (and inflatable kayaks) on the basis of the additional hassle of carrying the pump and inflating/deflating every time. I also think they end up with punctures from being folded/stored for periods.

You may have hit the nail on the head with the “core strength” comment. My upper and lower body appear to be connected by a blancmange but if that’s something I can work on and improve to the point where it becomes usable that’s probably a good thing.

You check this guys Instagram
https://instagram.com/hankmcgregor?utm_medium=copy_link

One of the worlds best kayakers and surf ski kayakers - super human core stability. It’s in his genes as his dad was also legendary in the sport. I tried it once and I only stayed up cos my mates husband was hanging on the back!

1 Like

here’s your answer… best of both worlds…

7 Likes

Yeah that thing isn’t much longer than a goat boat but less able to get out the back. You’d want to know what you’re doing in that thing.

I’d stay out of the surf line up just because… :laughing:

On a serious note, I cannot imagine you catching many small waves on that. Shorter boards (and goat boats) need power to drive them, that comes from two things, bigger waves and hard bottom turns and you cannot really have one without the other.

There is no inherent glide with a shorter vessel, even with a paddle and I would imagine that the more aggressively you paddle to catch a smaller wave, the more instability you will induce.

2 Likes

@gingerbongo should be all over this.

I’m sure his girls would love it

I’ve already been sent that about 3 times in the last few weeks! :rofl:

My eldest wouldn’t sit still for 2 secs. As soon as she gets the chance she launches herself off the board! The youngest is the biggest flippin wuss in the world … unless she had an endless bag of food. then she’d happily sit in that back seat doing nothing!!! :rofl:

1 Like

I used to do quite a bit of kayak racing and it was a brilliant core workout and I spent quite a bit of time working my way through to more tippy and faster boats as my core strength improved. There’s also a lot of similarities between a good kayak stroke and a swim stroke; they also talk about catch, pull, rotation and recovery. IIRC Worcester are one of the top kayak racing clubs in the country.

1 Like

First proper go in the kayak after getting some airbags and my own paddle.
Managed to stay upright and by the end I was scooting around in broadly the direction I intended.
Two main lessons:

1. The instability (tippiness) isn’t a precursor to capsizing, it will rock side to side but doesn’t go any further.
  2. It’s all about your legs. To start with I sat there like a sack of spuds thinking you did everything with the arms/paddle. I now realise your legs/core are always working to balance and direct the boat.
    I know that’s in the "Derrrr obviously’ category to most of you but it’s all new to me and I’m pretty happy the thing is actually usable even if I’m not even scratching the surface of its intended use or capabilities.
    Thanks for the tips.
7 Likes

Looks like the Winchester one way system!

1 Like

Caught my first wave on the SoT on Saturday, on the mouth of the River Erme. Not bad going in a 2+! kayak :sweat_smile: Shame it was the only time it rained Fri-Sun, so the kids and my parents had had enough pretty quickly. Neither child was interested in going on the kayak :roll_eyes: After the surf, I went a little up river, most serene, until I had to paddle back down against the incoming tide! (and my Dad phoned!). Would have liked another hour or two…one day!

2 Likes

My first paddle in the Wye (or any moving water for that matter)
The squiggly but at the top is me having 3 attempts to get through some “white water” and up a little step, which finally ended with me coming back down backwards and capsizing. :woozy_face:

4 Likes

Looks like great fun. If I ever get to move to the west coast of Scotland I’ll be buying a sea kayak. I love faffing about exploring the skerries, cliffs and caves.

If you’re starting to play in rapids are you wearing a helmet? Easy to get a knock.

Ps. Saw one of these every day in the exact same spot on a fallen tree a little way up The Lugg.
Jeez, they’re big buggers up close, but beautiful too.

ETA - not my picture, I had to Google it to see what it was.

2 Likes

No I don’t, but you’re absolutely right, I was on my own too so a knock on the head, I don’t get out and it’s all over. I went up that way twice more but didn’t try it again, got out and walked round the last time as I realised it probably wasn’t wise.

1 Like

Considering one of those SUPs on sportpursuit. I see you can put a seat on them. The kids claim they’d love one way more than a kayak 🤷 It would be a really expensive inflatable that could do occasional paddle use for me and Mrs O.

They seem like a great idea. Apparently the one thing to look out for is to be sure you can also put foot straps on. Apparently you don’t realise just how much you use your legs when paddling until you don’t have anywhere to hook your feet.

Ah, that’ll be what those loops are for! I was looking at the ADRN one for £250.

Resurrecting this thread as I’ve bought another kayak.
The Drago Rossi was always going to be a bit of an experiment and overall it was a success but with a few learnings.

1. I’m too heavy for it, I’m not much outside the spec but the wrong side meaning it sits lower than it should in the water.
  2. Even as playboats go it’s considered one of the twitchiest with even experienced paddlers not fancying it in surf for example.
  3. The convenience of a 6ft long kayak is a big plus so if there’s a more suitable one it would still be my preference. (I.e. I’m within the specs)
  4. The first generation of playboats were less extreme so more stable as they were still transitioning from river runners.
  5. Taadaa!

Ps. Anyone want to buy the white one :wink:
1 Like